Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Endeavour
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Fuel Tank in E32

Andy - with the floor section screwed back in place it's pretty rigid....maybe not as rigid as with the original stringer but I have not noticed any flexing. I have heard that on some of the earlier E32's the tanks were installed under the port side lazarrette, but they were only 10 or 12 gal tanks, if I recall correctly.

Caleb - the tank holds 22 gallons. That's the starting battery in the picture. The house bank is in the engine compartment behind the quarter berth engine access door.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013

awahl is on a distinguished road

Agree that the layout is sensible. I do like the fact that its removable too. Got a quote from the marina the other day......ouch.... but going to proceed with putting a poly tank in the bilge....

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-18-2013

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I'm constantly telling people how much room I have in the engine compartmentand having the tank located under the cockpit sole doesn't put it in the way of any of the systems, but it is glassed in and would take cutting,grinding to remove it.

I think my tank is 20 gallons?? But its possible its not and if thats the case then we have used far less fuel then I thought traveling the coast.

this thread has me thinking about moving the tank to the bildge but then I'm not sure what I would do with all the room. I already call it my man cave.

I am the Capt of my ship but sometimes I think I had more fun just being the cabin boy.
Old 05-20-2013

Thanks Mario - i am tempted to just put a tank in the laz and be done with it - those amazon pics whizzing by make it very tempting (cost wise too)....
Old 05-20-2013

Mario - if you have any pics of your fuel tank placement that you could share would be great. I'm considering mounting one of those moellers in the lazarette- even if only for a temporary solution, or as a permanent secondary tank. For the cost of $240 + labor- I think it may be worth it, and I like the thought of that versus just using a bladder to sail around this summer- pending spending big bucks for the big fix in the fall.... I can always replace the fuel tank in the bilge- and I can always remove the secondary tank from the laz (BTW- those moeller straps... are they to be attached to stringers that one might glass/epoxy to the hull?)- I am such a newb at this! Arrggh!
Old 05-23-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I also have the fuel tank located aft of the engine on the port side. I find that with a full tank of fuel I get a port side list. It's even worse when I have been too lazy to empty the holding tank until last minute.

I have moved my house batteries to the space under the sole. I imagine I still have enough room down there to put a flexible fuel tank forward of the batteries. It would be nice to get that 200 lb lower and more forward.
Old 06-07-2013

Well the good news is we've finally gotten our E32 closer to home so we can spend time working on her.

Here's our general plan for replacing the tank. The first picture is a bit skewed but you get the idea. We're having a marina do much of the install- We'll mostly be dealing with putting the sole back in after the repair, bilge cleaning/painting, etc- We're only losing 3 gallons of capacity- which for the price ($150 on Amazon...) is pretty decent.

E32 Tank Replacement Plan

Actually getting her in the water and sailing her before July would be nice....
Old 06-20-2013

Hi Everyone-

Our original plan hit a bit of a snag. It turns out the keel/bilge area was not as wide on the bottom of the aft section as I thought (this was not apparent until the sole was cut and the old tank removed). The poly tank we intended to use will not fit in the space available.

I have located a nice 20gl tank that will fit in the space- and it's now part of our Plan B. I am hoping to get some feedback on this from the wise Sailnet community.

While the tank will fit in the space- it is not designed to fit "in" the space. Mounting, weight distribution, etc- are somewhat of a concern- although I think in the bigger scheme of things perhaps not a major concern as long as it's mounted "correctly". (We would be having the local marina do this).

We would like to get the boat in the water sooner rather than later- and I can get the replacement tank installed probably within a week- versus more like 5-7 weeks to wait for and have the fabricated tank installed... Having said that, we do want to do it right... just don't know if our "Plan B" is wrong...

Please take a look and let me know what you think. Plan B, or Plan C?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Hey Andy - what a dilemma.......I know the feeling of wanting to go sailing now! vs. waiting for parts, and it bites! It is hard to imagine there being a big difference in how stable the Plan B tank would be once it was installed, and if there is only a 2 gallon difference in the capacity of the tank, why not opt for the more immediate solution? Even if you end up carrying a 2 gal jerry can "just in case" I doubt you'll ever notice the difference in tank capacity.

Just my two cents.

Awesome job with the illustrations, too.

Let us know which way you decide to go.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 06-26-2013

I heard from a few folks with great suggestions including Roger Long- his fuel tank and polishing system on Strider is simply amazing-

We have decided to go with the original mfg- Florida Marine Tanks- It will mean waiting until end of July for the tank; but it will be the right tank for the boat...which in the end will be best for our peace of mind, resale, etc.

It sure does bite delaying our getting her on the water, but at least we're getting out sailing on friends' boats-

...Now there are those ports, hatches, chain plates and stanchions that need re-bedding, interior trim tweaks, locker painting, cabin lighting, various nick and scratch repair, painting the bilge & engine bay; mast paint and re-wire.....and, and, and....

Tags
bilge , e32 , frozen , fuel tank