Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you shop around for Diesel fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

If you look at the design carefully. Every time you use it, the water and dirt in sump trap will indiscriminate trapping good diesel.

I had a captain/owner once proudly announced to me how good the filter work by trapping so much bad diesel. I looked at the bottom of the filter, it was all clear diesel. He just tossed over board.

I almost die when I saw that. There are lots of morOOns in this world.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Wow, 500 gallons of fuel! Sure your not a stinkpot? Don't think I've used close to 500 gallons in the last 6 or 7 years of cruising.
I am both. My family owns all boats collectively, so between the clan we have something like 10 boats at any different time. Some power, some sail, all get used a lot.

The other thing we have used is to arrange an entire tanker truck to show up. If you have a few friends with big boats the cost savings can be massive. Typically once a year we try to arrange it with a few big offshore fishing boats to all fill up at once.
aeventyr60 likes this.
Old 06-03-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
you should have thought of this before entering Maryland, you could have saved a fair amount by topping off the tanks in Virginia... The prices in Little Creek would likely be considerably lower than the Annapolis area, Cape Charles and Rudee Inlet probably even better still, although with that boat's draft, getting alongside the fuel docks in either spot could be problematic...
You two have a tunnel vision and narrow minded or just so stuck up you could think straight. There are many reasons that fueling was not advisable until now. Of course you act like you have the first hand experience on FRC. You are getting senile and barking indiscriminately.

Now I understand why Charles Doane, Executive Editor, for Sail Magazine singled you out as the armchair sailor in the Be Goo Too incident. In your little brain, you cooked up every scenario like you were there. But that was not how it went.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-03-2014
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The other thing we have used is to arrange an entire tanker truck to show up.
Last time when we fueled in FLL, we got it from a Tanker truck. There was a short line waiting for diesel. I was told the price was the cheapest in the last couple years in cruising.

Fine Print:
Old 06-03-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
If you look at the design carefully. Every time you use it, the water and dirt in sump trap will indiscriminate trapping good diesel.

I had a captain/owner once proudly announced to me how good the filter work by trapping so much bad diesel. I looked at the bottom of the filter, it was all clear diesel. He just tossed over board.

I almost die when I saw that. There are lots of morOOns in this world.
You don't have to use one. Just get diesel from the pump, and carry lots of extra Racor filters.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 06-03-2014

DrB will become famous soon enough
Truck Stop

I have probably used 40 gal of fuel in 6 years. I get it from a truck stop (5 gal) once a year at the end of the season. Add all the bio stuff. Never had and issue. I think I average around $4/gal over the years where I live.
Old 06-03-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:

You are getting senile and barking indiscriminately.
LOL! So says the "morOOn" who starts a dumba$$ thread asking whether or not to shop for the best diesel price???

:-)

I'm amazed a boat like FRC doesn't have an onboard fuel polishing system... Hell, even I've got one on my little tub... Whenever the engine runs, it runs, cycling fuel through a 60 GPH Racor 900...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 06-03-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I find those funnel filters to be an enormous pain in the rear. They say high flow rates, but I would hate to know what they compare it to. Spitting fuel on the deck as the flow from the diesel hose flows too fast. We have a 100 gal tank and will take on 70 gallons give or take when we top off. It would take forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-03-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, you two really need to go to separate corners and not interact, don't you think. You know who you are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-03-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are lots of morOOns in this world.
I am one as well. I changed the diesel filter, and put the old one in a ziplock brand bag, then sat it on the teak for a few hours while I worked....

I save my filter drainings for a place that accepts them. Dumping a small amount of diesel in the water at sea will not hurt anything, but by land....