SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Yanmar 2gm20 price?

18K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  UnionPacific 
#1 ·
Anyone out there know what a Yanmar 2gm20 goes for these days? A new 2ym20 was $8900 at the Annapolis boat show this weekend...

#5 ·
First, it's "2YM15". it is 14 hp. That price sounds about right for a unit that includes a reduction gear. I don't pay attention to 2GM20's as they are raw water cooled. I did pick up a 2GM20F on Craigslist in Seattle for $1200. I sold my old one for $900 on e-bay. So, for $300 plus about $500 in tools and materials, I swapped the engine myself.

I have seen good units for around $2500 - $4000. I don't think I would spend more than about $2500 for a used motor. While there are a lot of used 2GM's out there and parts are still available, they are considered by many mechanics to be obsolete. The 2YM15 is only 2hp less and will bolt to a shaft/flange sized for a 2GM pretty easily. Some engine bed modification may be necessary but shouldn't be anything more than some new mounting holes.

You can buy a remanufactured 2GM20F for about $3500 plus core and shipping. Shipping will likely be at least $500 x 2. Once to ship the motor to your location and again to ship the core back. Now you're at $4500. Engine may have a guarantee but how good is that guarantee when the seller is in WI and you're 1500 miles away. Lots to be said for a Yanmar warranty with lots of dealer support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.