||07-20-2006 11:51 PM
Making a replacement
I found the lower part of the swing keel of my 1976 Ericson 23 on the bottom under the boat. I removed the top part, disassembled and rebuilt the beast. I plan to paint and reinstall it this week. It was fairly involved, requiring welding, sculpting, and fiberglassing skills. My skills were marginal in all of these fields, but I enjoyed the process.
I have some dimensions and some pics of the process if that would help. I have a very slow dial-up connection, so detailed pics are a chore to send. The center was 1/8" thick steel - replaced with 3/16". The two pieces of lead - 86 pounds worth - would require casting skills to replicate. they have a trapezoid cross-section. I used microsphere filled body putty for the shaping of the foil - 4 plus gallons worth, and a gallon of polyester resin and a couple of yards of 6 oz. fiberglass cloth.
I should know by the weekend if it was worth the effort.