Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Ericson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007

boater15 is on a distinguished road
1974 Ericson 25 Buyer Question

I am looking at a '74 Ericson 25, centerboard model, and really like the boat. I am just wondering about the sailing characteristics of this model. With the ballast carried in the hull, how does the boat sail in moderate-heavy winds? Also, wondering how well the boat points to windward?

Any first-hand insight is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2007

rhessenius is on a distinguished road
E-25 Cb

Boater15- I have a 73' E25 that I have owned for 2 seasons. Nice, solid boat that sails and feels larger than she really is. You have 2500lbs of lead ballast and I believe the board weighs 150lbs (not trully intended as ballast) down below. I have been on other boats of same size or lesser and don't feel the weight that the Ericson has. The board allows you to point quite high. I can usually pinch off a fair amount of boats in the race. The 25Cb is a full rig and is driven by the headsail which I think promotes the point. Not know where you are located, if depth or trailering is a consideration. You will be hard pressed to find what the Ericson offers you. Good luck in your decision. Any questions please feel free to ask me. A great site to look at is: www.ericsonyachts.org Rob Hessenius
Old 01-08-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I spent a weekend on one of these about thrity years ago and the one thing I remember is that it was a very tender boat. Its sailed well in a little breeze, but everytime a gust of 10+ came by, it instantly buried the rail. Obviously that behavior made an impression on me.... If you NEED a centerboard, this is an OK boat although I think the S-2s are much better. If you don't NEED a centerboard, get a fin keel and you'll be able to relax more and won't scare your guests so often...
Old 06-15-2007

eslovett is on a distinguished road
I just bought an E25 six months ago and couldn't be happier! I bought an E25to trailer as I am a lake sailor in Tennessee. One of the great advantages of the E25 is the mast stepping rig that was sold with the boat. I can have my boat's mast stepped and the boat launched in 45-60 mins.
Old 06-27-2007

boater15 is on a distinguished road
I did buy the E25 this past winter and am extremely happy with the boat. It's a well built boat that I think sails well in both light and heavy air. I am surprised at how fast it is; I had modest expectations considering it is a fairly heavy boat. Since I bought mine I have talked with other current and former owners and all have said they would buy an E25 again.