Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Ericson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2007

AlexandraH is on a distinguished road
Ericson 30' 1984 leak problems??

Hello:

My husband and I are in the beginning stages of our first boat purchase. We've been looking at a number of different builds but I found myself very attracted to the Ericson's. We looked at 4 1984 30' Ericson's and ALL of them had water damage to the flooring and baseboard wood. It looked like the windows leaked... but I couldn't figure out how the damage to the woodwork was so extensive with something as simple as a window leak (I guess I'm thinking along the lines that I would fix it as soon as I found it, therefore not much damage). We live in Southern California so it doens't rain that much nor that hard. Anyone know what it might be?

Alex

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist
expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
-William A. Ward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009
Banned

Moonfish22 is on a distinguished road
People are lazy, I have an ericson 32, there is a little bit of weatherstripping that goes around the ericson windows (at least back in the 70's) and the inner ring just clamps the outer window along with weatherstripping to the cabinsides, this weatherstripping dries out and lets water in between the frame and the cabin, also, the rubber that seals the glass into the aluminum frame can dry out, as was the case in mine.

It's an easy fix but the guy i bought it from said it had been leaking for 10 years or more. Ridiculous, i fixed it the first weekend i owned the boat.

Hope that helps a bit, Ericsons' are good boats, they went out of business because they built their boats too well, they just couldn't afford to keep building them like that.
Old 01-29-2009

jstorace is on a distinguished road
Leaks....

A good boat is a dry boat!Ha.........
that said, my E32 (1971) leaks like any other used boat not properly maintained for several years. Pure laziness!Prior owners?!

If you are patient. look around some more, for a dryer boat.
Leaks can also be from the deck hardware, anywhere topsides! Believe me I have had them all( every single bolt/screw/orifice, every single piece of hardware(not sealed). You name it I have had almost all of the deck ripped out(DISGUSTED!!).
The portlights will have to be reseated in Life SEal, or waterproof gasket sealant,after the FBG layers within the coachroof walls are epoxy sealed.
Epoxy is waterproof to me(not poly resin or bondo).
THere are no small jobs, just WORK.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.