Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Ericson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007

daven is on a distinguished road
Ericson 27 comments

Anyone here had experience with the E 27 late '70's, early '80's.
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
You will likely get more replies if you post this on the ericson yacht owners organization. You can do a search, but it's something like "ericsonyachts.org"
It's a great site with lots of information.
Frank
Old 11-06-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Had one as our first boat. Great boat to learn on, very forgiving, much better constructed than comparibly priced and sized production boats. About the only thing I found frustrating was that it seemed as slow as dry wall but am sure that's a function of it's wetted surface with it's cutaway semi-full keel. On the plus side, no keel bolts and keel seperation to worry about, relatively large cockit for a 27 and tracks like it's on rails. No history of hull blisters but deck leaks from poorly placed chainplates are frequently a source of water penetration in the deck but that is easily checked and repaired if needed.
Old 11-07-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
I have sailed 2 at our sailing club. One with a wheel and one with a tiller. They were hard to reverse with a lot of prop walk, and in light air, they served better as a drinking platform. However when the wind picks up they are great.
Old 11-09-2007

daven is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input.
Dave
Old 11-19-2007
Lake Michigan Sailor

sbuck is on a distinguished road
I have a 1975 E-27 which I love to sail (doesn't motor well though because of tiller arrangement.) I sail out of Milwaukee. The boat sails well - I cruise so speed is not an issue especially in low winds but it does move. She really performs in higher winds (15ish) and is stiff enough to be comfortable. It's faster than my Columbia 28 so I'm happy. Next summer we'll be cruising more across the lake and can report more. Any specific questions?

Steve
Old 01-22-2008

richardharvey is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuck View Post
I have a 1975 E-27 which I love to sail (doesn't motor well though because of tiller arrangement.) I sail out of Milwaukee. The boat sails well - I cruise so speed is not an issue especially in low winds but it does move. She really performs in higher winds (15ish) and is stiff enough to be comfortable. It's faster than my Columbia 28 so I'm happy. Next summer we'll be cruising more across the lake and can report more. Any specific questions?

Steve
I also sail out of Milwaukee. I bought my 1971 Ericson 27 in 1988 as my first boat and I love it. I agree that she slow in light winds and my wife likes it that way. I however, prefer winds to be 8+. then she'll do 4+kts on up to maybe 6.5 and sails great. A few years ago I converted it to wheel steering which make it much nicer to sail as now I'm facing the rest of my crew and its much easier to motor with. I think my boat is hull #35. They didn't assign hull identification numbers until 1973.