Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Ericson
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2008

ereiss is on a distinguished road
How tender is an Erickson 38?

As we look to replace our recently sold Pearson 33-2, the Admiral has emphasized that the next boat has to be "stiff". A tender boat significantly lessens her ease on board.

On my P33-2 I put a first reef in at about 18 knots and there was no weather helm and it stayed at 15 degrees.

Any comments or experience with the Erickson 38 would be greatly appreciated.

I can be reached off line, if that is you preferred way at:

ereiss - at-gmail-dot-com

Thank you

Ed Reiss
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You should be fine with any Erickson or Pearson fin keel boats, just avoid shallow draft or wing keels. You'll need to live with 6' draft or so.
Old 07-09-2008

ah, it's the winged keel that I was looking at

We do need less than 5' of draft, so does that mean that only the full depth keel is stiff?

thanks
Old 07-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereiss View Post
We do need less than 5' of draft, so does that mean that only the full depth keel is stiff?

thanks
It's all in the physics unfortunately, so I would say yes. Scheel and wings can help, but I don't think anyone really gets a stiff boat without keel depth. Do you really need less than 5', that stinks. You may not need much more, for example the C&C 35 Mark II is recognized as a very stiff boat but has a draft of only 5'3". There's a discussion of Ericson keels at Boat Review - Ericson 38 - Southwinds, July 2002 looks like there a wing at 5'3" that might be worth trying...stiff is a very relative term. The Ericson 38 is a sweet boat, as is the sister design Ericson 35 mark II.
Old 07-09-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Now if you really want stiff, look here: Performance Cruising Inc. - The Official Gemini 105MC and Telstar 28 Web

It doesn't get any stiffer.
Old 07-09-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Now if you really want stiff, look here: Performance Cruising Inc. - The Official Gemini 105MC and Telstar 28 Web

It doesn't get any stiffer.
I wouldn't want to own any sailboat where "burying the rail..." means you've gotten into big trouble...I'm going to get my speed fixes by buying a motorcycle...

PS - I guess you know SD, he's got one of those nutty boats too.

Last edited by sailingfool; 07-09-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-09-2008

More on "Tender"

My prior boat drew 3' 7" so I got spoiled. I think we could go as deep as th 5' 6" or so. With that limitation can we be in an Ericson that the Admiral will not have her fingernails in my arm in 18 knots of wind? I realize that "stiff" is a relative term but, unfortunately, she heard someone say "those Ericsons are very tender" and now I need to overcome that in my search for our next boat.

Thank you for any help.

Ed
Old 07-09-2008
TKE

kreinestja is on a distinguished road
Tender Ericson

Ed, my husband and I own a Ericson 38-200. You may want your wife to keep her nails very short. I really have a hard time on our boat once the winds hit 15 knots. I've only been sailing for the past three years and I can honestly say I've gotten better with the sensation, but in my opinion the Ericson is tender and heels a lot. I also know that we should reef more and the sails that we often use are too big.
She is a wonderful vessel; there is no denying her quality throughout. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I will be happy to forward them on to my husband who may have some valuable advice and or different opinions than mine. There is a very helpful group on "Ericsonyachts.org"

Regards,
Jeri
Old 09-29-2008

rwcat is on a distinguished road
Ericsons come with tall/standard mast heights and have more than one keel configuration (at least that's what I recall) Taller masts were preferred in areas of calmer wind conditions, e.g. Southern California vesus San Francisco Bay sailing. I think the Ericson 38 is a capable boat for coastwise sailing and can also for occasional bluewater passages. I wouldn't select it for a circumnavigation...but I'm sure it could. Google Ericson 38's ...I'm sure you will find answers to your concerns.
Old 07-31-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
I've been racing an Ericson 38 this summer and been caught out in a few blows. Keep in mind this boat has been rigged to race, but is also a family vacation home. I would not call this boat tender by any means. Of course i learned to race on a KIWI 35 a similar lengthed boat that weighed around 3000lbs. We never had to do anything other than put up a smaller headsail. I guess we have been in winds 30+. My guess a good point to reef the main, if not racing would be around 20+knots.

I would love to own this boat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.