Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeehag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009
1973 Morgan O/I 33

bjslife is on a distinguished road
Need purchasing advice on Ericson 35-2

I have the chance to buy a 1973 Ericson 35-2 for 8k. It has no motor but the shaft and prop is still in. the top side needs some paint but otherwise the inside looks great. If i was to buy it my thoughts were to put a diesel in instead of the atomic 4 wich it had. How sea worthy are these boats? Coast or open water? I also noticed theres no compresion post inside. Surfing the net i saw that some had none. Is this normal and would it be advised to put one in or leave it the way it is. I know nothing of these Ericsons so any and all advice would be helpfull. Also is there anything i should lookout for that may be bad on this boat because im thinking of buying it for a liveaboard. thanks in advance

Last edited by bjslife; 11-15-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
very seaworthy. is your interior white or is it woood?? i thought mII was after 1974. mine is MII and looks very different inside from the 1973 model.....these are fast boats and have won rally races on west coast---newport - ensenada among others in 1979-1980 or thereabouts......there is an article in each of 2 magazines regarding our boats--the newest was in sail 3 yrs ago --- the older one was in a different magazine--and was by jack horner--he tells about the hull to deck connection.....i have owned mine for 6 yrs in san diego....i love it but has to short a range for my needs so i got a formosa 41.....but i still own my ericson......many of them had atomic 4 engines then converted to diesel....8k is excellent price....even for a project-----and you may just get away with no blisters LOL-----is spozed to have a beautiful teak laminated tiller for emergency use......install complete in 10sec....truly........
Jghflash likes this.

Last edited by zeehag; 11-16-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: boatkat isunt gud at remembering the ericson anymore LOL, and kannot typo
Old 11-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjslife View Post
I have the chance to buy a 1973 Ericson 35-2 for 8k. It has no motor but the shaft and prop is still in. the top side needs some paint but otherwise the inside looks great. If i was to buy it my thoughts were to put a diesel in instead of the atomic 4 wich it had. How sea worthy are these boats? Coast or open water? I also noticed theres no compresion post inside. Surfing the net i saw that some had none. Is this normal and would it be advised to put one in or leave it the way it is. I know nothing of these Ericsons so any and all advice would be helpfull. Also is there anything i should lookout for that may be bad on this boat because im thinking of buying it for a liveaboard. thanks in advance
in my pm i forgot to mention the diesel--mine was given a yanmar 2 qm 20 H diesel--i love it---but those are no longer sold here --epa said they are dirty lol....or some such--but has to do with epa rulings regarding diesel engines on boats. anyway....is huge in the small space providsed and the prop is incorrect....LOL.....hampers forward momentum lol......but is a good idea to exchange atom bomb for air pump(diesel) in them--there are smaller sized for the hp engines--i have 20 hp for a 35 ft boat ----but , look at the water line --isnt much there for length...more deck....for length over all.....cool shape to keel.....sail fast and are fun to sail short distances--gets to be a lot of work i n a crossing---but that can be addressed to a degree---and there is a mod for the weather helm thing.....goood boats with proper treatment and care--as any boat---excellently built--not a punch out..LOL..they have crossed oceans and done long distance races with goood results--won newport ensenada as balderdash---there are other races mine has won in her class under name balderdash--she is a 1979 model.....has a wooden interior by bruce king....a 1973 near me has a white plastic liner inside liner.........some have cabinets and some do not--mine does not---was raced many years before i got her...

Last edited by zeehag; 11-17-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: boatkat isunt gud speeler...LOL..cannot typo eethur
Old 11-21-2009

jorge922 is on a distinguished road
Zeehag, I would like to know when Balderdash won the big Ensenada? I raced on Balderdash for several years, util Chip sold her and bought Celerity. as far as I know Balderdash only did one Ensenada race, the "little Ensenada", I was aboard for that race, and, we did 16 knts serfing of the waves with the chute up, but, didn't come close to winning. I used to have several winner plaques in my Newport 30 from races I crewed on.
Old 11-21-2009

wow i was advised she won better than that--she i s a sweet fast sloop....i was also advised she won some race to avalon?? i donot know more than that--i was advised by the guy i bought her from..he renamed her sumore.....