VOLVO OCEAN Race! - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-03-2014 Thread Starter
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
VOLVO OCEAN Race!

With the world 71% covered in water and only 29% Earth . i wonder why the media isn't covering this race! We have for the first time some bad ass women racing against the boys in this extreme world out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBDy...&feature=share
gestes59 likes this.

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-04-2014

Re: VOLVO OCEAN Race!

In the age of instant gratification and celebrity, the VOR provides neither. Mind you, it does to sailors, but to the mainstream, they can't see a winner in an hour or two at the pub, nor follow some sports personality smacking his wife or wearing his underwear on a billboard. People are too shallow for the VOR.
gestes59 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Multihullgirl (11-04-2014)
post #3 of 18 Old 11-04-2014
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
InPeople are too shallow for the VOR.
Which is exactly why I'm a rabid fan.
gestes59 likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #4 of 18 Old 11-04-2014 Thread Starter
John

Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

I like the women. But they need to pick up the speed.
gestes59 likes this.

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
post #5 of 18 Old 11-04-2014

Been watching since day 1. Great APP and excellent coverage for those that are interested. I plan to meet them in Newport next spring.
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40
post #6 of 18 Old 11-09-2014 Thread Starter
John

Yea the race is great and good coverage but it would be great if the newsmedia would talk about .. all we hear Iis shootings and other sports
post #7 of 18 Old 11-09-2014
Dragon Mod

Dock

The women did the last part of the first leg with a broken head. Used a bucket. Surely that's CNN-worthy.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
post #8 of 18 Old 11-09-2014 Thread Starter
John

He'll ya. This women are tuff and i love it that they are in it .. can't wait for next leg. I'm playing the virtualregatta.com

CaptainJp3
Reynolds 21

licensed OUPV/6-pack

post #9 of 18 Old 11-09-2014

Dock

With all the media and options on the boats this year, I do hope they do leg documentaries as they have before. As much as I like watching the play-by-play, I do love the full episodes too. I know there isn't the mainstream coverage out there, but I'm sure a lot of the people interested are already faithfully following the race, but I agree it'd be nice to see some more coverage to try to draw in some new viewers.

1970 Islander Excalibur 26 - Constant Resto

2015 home: Fair Point Marina, Fair Haven, NY - Lake Ontario
post #10 of 18 Old 11-11-2014

NBC Sports Network is running a weekly series on it. The first few shows had a lot of back story, but they are now starting to focus on the racing and maintenance setbacks more.
Found the schedule on their site:
Programs airing within the next 2 weeks
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 5: Thu, Nov 13, 10:30 AM)
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 6: Mon, Nov 17, 7:30 PM)
Sailing (Volvo Ocean Race: Race Around the World Weekly 7: Mon, Nov 24, 7:30 PM)
Volvo Ocean Race (TV Show)
Volvo Ocean Race (TV Show)

By the way, nice site CharlzO!

1977 C&C 27 MKIII
Sea Mist

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.