SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

The Scenic Route to the Boat Show

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  john@lemmenes.com 
#1 ·
Delivering Hanse 575 Relentless from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD through a moderate gale (force 7). Found some amazing scenery on the way!

Signed on last minute and had a blast getting one last weekend of heavy weather sailing in last season :)

Not really a cruising video. Not really an extreme sailing video. But this forum won the coin toss so there you have it.

The associated blog post

#4 ·
Nice video.

How did you feel about the open transom? I cannot see myself feeling comfortable with it offshore, especially in Gale force wind. Otherwise the boat looks beautiful, I wish the last delivery I was on was as much fun... it sucked because the boat was very neglected, ugh.

#5 ·
Short answer: no, but add ten knots and you'd probably change my answer.

The "garage" was more unnerving than the open transom: . But when you look at that video you see the "open transom" is only about 1' lower than the boat's considerable freeboard. As soon as I stepped on I noticed the cockpit is not very deep at all; it's like you're sitting on the boat. The designers weren't optimizing her up for offshore work which made the delivery a little more exciting.

But she was 58' and the breezy part of the trip was broad reaching or deeper in F7 so the ride was as tame as possible for the conditions. We got a handful of "surfs" in where it was waves against current but that was only an hour of a 40 hour trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.