SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Extreme Sailing Videos (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/extreme-sailing-videos/)
-   -   Cape Horn (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/extreme-sailing-videos/93959-cape-horn.html)

ScottUK 11-09-2012 09:25 PM

Cape Horn

Lemmy K 01-03-2015 09:39 PM

Re: Cape Horn

tough old boys...

Lemmy K 01-03-2015 09:39 PM

waaaaay before gore-tex too.

sproatlake 03-10-2016 11:47 AM

beast

DeadBrilliant 05-26-2016 05:23 PM

Really cool!

Caribbeachbum 05-26-2016 10:21 PM

Consider reading the book. It's very aptly titled Once is Enough, and is a story of some ridiculously sturdy and resourceful sailors. I'd consider it part of the canon of sailing literature. Moitessier was a fan, best I remember, and called it out as an excellent resource.

SailingWithAndy 11-14-2016 09:13 PM

Nice! Tough old guys. Does anyone know what that substance was that they were rubbing on the lines?

ianjoub 11-14-2016 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SailingWithAndy (Post 3729762)
Nice! Tough old guys. Does anyone know what that substance was that they were rubbing on the lines?

"Tallowing the sheets" was in the narration. Tallow is fat.

Capt Len 11-14-2016 10:44 PM

Beef fat,boiled to remove salt . Used to 'sloosh' the masts too (on gaffers).Miles gave me a signed copy of "Once is Enough" Edit. Miles signed 'Because the Horn is there'. his later book.

capta 11-14-2016 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribbeachbum (Post 3507594)
Consider reading the book. It's very aptly titled Once is Enough, and is a story of some ridiculously sturdy and resourceful sailors. I'd consider it part of the canon of sailing literature. Moitessier was a fan, best I remember, and called it out as an excellent resource.

I read "Once is Enough" before I set sail on my circumnavigation. Doing so saved my life, the lives of my wife, daughter and crew when we were capsized three times in a tropical cyclone (hurricane) off Fiji. During one capsize we lost the companionway hatch and without a thought I knew exactly how to make repairs and seal that huge hole, thanks to that book. A very important book for anyone who dares venture beyond the sight of land, IMHO.
In the early 70's I met John Guzzwell in Hawaii and he was obviously prematurely grey. He said it happened almost overnight, after the pitchpole.