SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Florida - Eastern (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/florida-eastern/)
-   -   Dengue Fever in Stuart! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/florida-eastern/103641-dengue-fever-stuart.html)

xort 09-12-2013 06:10 PM

Dengue Fever in Stuart!

There have been about 18 cases of dengue fever in the Stuart, Jensen Beach area!! Yikes!

Anyone know if winter will kill this off?

CalebD 09-12-2013 07:16 PM

Re: Dengue Fever in Stuart!

I don't know. I hope so.

I smell a documentary on dengue fever!

FSMike 09-13-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xort (Post 1087892)
There have been about 18 cases of dengue fever in the Stuart, Jensen Beach area!! Yikes!
---

xort - Mind telling us your source of information?
Thanks.

irmedic 09-13-2013 04:55 PM

CalebD 09-13-2013 06:57 PM

Put up your bug enclosures xort.

Cap-Couillon 09-13-2013 07:44 PM

[Documentry]
Dengue (aka "Break-Bone") fever is transmitted via the Aedes mosquito. There are four types of dengue viruses that can cause this illness. The infection is not passed between human beings directly. Anything that reduces the mosquito population (eg: winter) will reduce the risk of exposure. While life threatening complications in normal, healthy adults are rare, the severity of symtoms can be debilitating. Symptoms in young children and infants are very minor in comparison to adults and older children. There are no anti-viral treatments available for Dengue, treatment is symtomatic. As there are 4 known strains of Dengue, re-infection is possible, and it is believed that individuals so re-infected are more suseptable to complications due to the antbodies present from the original infection. Control of outbreaks is best accomplished via control of the mosquito carrier. Additional information on arboviral (or arthropod-borne) diseases in Florida is available here
[/Documentary]

Personal opinion.... Much ado about nothing. Miami Dade had 61 cases confirmed thru July of this year. While I am sure Stuart officials are concerned, and ready to throw time and tax dollars at the "problem", it sounds like the results of a slow news day to me.
While I caught my dose of "Break-Bone" in the western Pacific in the 70's and would prefer not to repeat the experience, I would be much more concerned about getting hit by a runaway beer truck.

Missingyou 09-14-2013 07:14 AM

Dengue Fever in Stuart!

It was present on the out islands of the Bahamas about 2 or 3 years ago, so am not surprised. It's like getting a bad case of the flu.