SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Florida - Eastern (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/florida-eastern/)
-   -   Deering Bay or Black Point (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/florida-eastern/85530-deering-bay-black-point.html)

armandolio 03-27-2012 10:50 PM

Deering Bay or Black Point

Need to tap the Biscayne Bay experts.....

assuming Boca Chita is full, can one anchor in what appears to be a basin inside Black Point Marina, or around the Deering Bay Yacht Club?

I see there seems to be space around the golf course.

thanks

night0wl 03-28-2012 09:17 AM

Re: Deering Bay or Black Point

Black Point Marina was cheap. We're TowBoatUS Members. Only $37 for a 34 foot boat including tax. Not familiar with any anchorage on the east side of the Bay that low down.

CaptainForce 03-29-2012 06:42 AM

Armandolio, I admit that I've never ventured into the channels to Black Point Marina or the place at Deering Point, but the dredged out basins at the locations of marinas are rarely available for anchoring. These areas are usually defended in use as "turning basins" and "areas of operation" within the channels to the marinas. If I am staying outside of Boca Chita and the weather is mild or even brisk from the NE-E-SE, then I approach the break between Sands Key and Elliott Key to a comfortable depth or I select a place further down Elliott Key. If I have concerns with winds from the west, then I either take the trip up to Key Biscayne's No Name Harbor or the Pines Canal (first basin to the port after entry) or I move down to the lee side of Pumpkin Key. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

night0wl 03-29-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForce (Post 852139)
...or the Pines Canal (first basin to the port after entry) or I move down to the lee side of Pumpkin Key. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

@CaptainForce - can you describe that basin? I've gone right by it thinking we'd get hassled by the owners in the area and went into Hurricane Harbor since we only draw 4'9". Always to drop the hook in that basin though!

CaptainForce 03-29-2012 03:50 PM

There's not much to say about the place just inside the Pines Canal on Key Biscayne. It's a wilderness park area to the starboard and all homes around the area that is big enough for a few boats to port. There's no public access ashore. The holding seems good. I'm guessing that the depth was about ten feet there, but I'm not sure. It is well protected from wind and wakes. I haven't had any negative interaction with the property owners, but I'm careful to mind my position and stay off their docks. I've also only stayed there for a brief time. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

armandolio 03-29-2012 10:37 PM

Thanks CaptainForce, I knew you would have useful comments.