Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Florida & SE US East Coast > Florida - Eastern
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road
Favorite Marinas?

I've been looking for a slip on the Space Coast. Do you have a favorite marina in the area?

I've visited several, and need to make a decision and cruise up from the Keys before we get too far into Hurricane Season. I'm thinking late July/early August.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Favorite Marinas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
I've been looking for a slip on the Space Coast. Do you have a favorite marina in the area?

I've visited several, and need to make a decision and cruise up from the Keys before we get too far into Hurricane Season. I'm thinking late July/early August.
I live here. It's hard to advise as I don't know what criteria you use. But let me try it this way, that time of the year you need Hurricane protection.

If price isn't an issue, A good hurricane hole is Harbor Town marina on the barge canal on Merritt Island which would work nicely, as they have plenty of water, a restaurant and pool on the property. the best Hurricane hole is Harbor Square marina also on the barge canal. This one is lower service and a bargain. Neither is close to food stores or shopping.

Titusville Municiple or Westland Marina in Titusville, are both good as they share the same channel are full service marinas with fuel docks. I spent a week at Titusville muni and thought they had their act together. They have about 50% hurricane protection (wide open to the East) compared to the barge canal.

Telemar Bay Marina has great docks and a good location to shopping. A bit pricey and 70% protection compared to the barge canal (closer to the beach). Lastly Waterline Marina in Melbourne. Depth is an issue this time of the year. If you draw over 4' , it's not the place for you and it has 50% protection as the barge canal. Same in Eau Gallie marina.

I did not mention any marina in Port Canaveral as there is mandatory evacuation in any named storm.

You can see I used hurricane protection and shopping as my criteria.... Hope this helps

Whitley Bay, Diamond 99, Pineda Point, Anchorage marina - might as well sink your own boat before a hurricane hits, as it will not weather the storm in any of these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 05-26-2013 at 07:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TropicCat For This Useful Post:
TheWollard (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Great info!

I didn't know about the mandatory evacuation in Port Canaveral. Thanks!

I took ASA 101 at Harbortown Marina and I'm familiar with that marina. I also nearly purchased a boat in Harbor Square. I agree, it looks like a great Hurricane hole. You also can't beat the price.

Is the lock operating normally again? I know it was under construction this winter.

Old 05-27-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
Great info!

I didn't know about the mandatory evacuation in Port Canaveral. Thanks!

I took ASA 101 at Harbortown Marina and I'm familiar with that marina. I also nearly purchased a boat in Harbor Square. I agree, it looks like a great Hurricane hole. You also can't beat the price.

Is the lock operating normally again? I know it was under construction this winter.
Still installing the Manatee pass though at the lock. I've been in Harbor Square the last year and it's OK, but a tad warm and buggy in summer months. I guess this is the price you pay for security in a hurricane hole .

Tags
cocoa beach , marina , melbourne , merrit island

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.