SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anyone in Marathon?

6K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Cruisingdad 
#1 ·
It doesn't look like many post to this destination - but it seemed to be the only place appropriate.

We are currently in Marathon - mooring A8, Boot Key Harbor and will be until the end of Feb 2010. Anyone on Sailnet here?:cool:

#2 ·
Wish I would have known thats where you were. My wife and I stayed in Cocaplum Beach and Tennis condo last week. Went swimming with the dolphins, snorkeling in key west a couple of times. We would have enjoyed meeting you.

Tried Porkys, the Wreck and Annpnnettes Lobster Steak House while we were there.

Dave

#3 ·
Annette's is just across the street from us. We only ate there once - never again. The food wasn't very good but the service was bad. We like the Hurricane, just down the road - especially for lunch. Good price, and pretty good food. Just one guy serving though - he gets your order quickly and delivers food and drink OK but then takes forever to bring you the check. I've seen that in some restaurants where they want you to stay to order more drinks - but they don't do that either.

#5 ·
Funny....we had a great meal in Annettes and the Desserts were homemade and unbeleiveable sized. My wife had a 6 Layer chocolate cake with and inside filling of peanut butter pie...I had a 6 layer Carrot cake with a chocolate chip cheesecake filling. It took 3 days to eat these desserts.

The service did suck. I though I had Flo as our waitress....came to find out she had escaped Long Island and moved to Marathon.

The locals recommended the restaurant.

#6 ·
Have they gotten the shoreside ammenties upgraded? I stayed there two winters ago (when they first put in the larger mooring field, but hadn't put in the (proposed) new shore facilities.

I thought it was a good place to stay, by and large. And it was certainly pretty full for the 3 months I was there.

#10 ·
If you guys see a trimaran named Ship O Fools...tell them Dan said hi. :D

#15 · (Edited)
#16 ·
Great, thanks for the info. I'll need an actual dock as I don't have a dingy on my small boat. I'll take a look at the links you gave me.

Have you heard anything good or bad about the Sombrero Marina in Marathon? Their rates look very good, but I also realize you often get what you pay for.

#17 ·
We have been to the Sombrero Marina for lunch and drinks a few times. We were down by car a few years ago and were impressed. We will stay there in the near future for an extended visit if we can ever escape where we are now. We liked it very much and were impressed with what we saw and what was nearby for convenience. It is our marina of choice but would also consider the City Marina, where Gary (Travlin Easy) recently stayed. You might check with him as I believe he played music at Sombrero recently and may have a better long term feel for it

#18 ·
Leaving Chesapeake for points south in a few weeks. Would like to layup for a while in the Boot Key mooring field and am curious as to when it starts to really fill up for the winter. Have no particular schedule, travel depends on the wind and weather but I would like to arrive in Marathon area in advance of the onslaught.

TIA for the feedback.

#19 ·
Leaving Chesapeake for points south in a few weeks. Would like to layup for a while in the Boot Key mooring field and am curious as to when it starts to really fill up for the winter. Have no particular schedule, travel depends on the wind and weather but I would like to arrive in Marathon area in advance of the onslaught.

TIA for the feedback.
First of all, anyone coming down to Marathon or the Keys, look us up. We are still here and probably will be for a while. We enjoy it here. Currently lying in Marathon.

Cap-Coullion:

I would say November... but reality is that you are probably good until January. It has been weird. WHen we first started coming here many years ago, November and Dec would be really tight. THen the market went to the crappers and Nov and Dec were not bad. Now things are starting to fill up again.

You should be fine anytime in Nov though... but again, the economy is better and people have more money now so who knows??

Brian

#20 ·
Thanks for the info... Sounds like the timing fits into the non-schedule quite well. Raised 3 kids on an old Tripp 45 cruising full time. Good way to grow up. Kids are gone so downsized to an elderly c-25. The Solitaire will be leaving south in a few weeks. Will look y'all up when I get there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.