Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Florida & SE US East Coast
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road
Transit Time?

I'm working to estimate how low it will take to cruise from Key Largo to Jupiter on the ICW, estimating cruising at 4.5-5 knots.

The big question is waiting for bridges. I require 39' of clearence.

If you have cruised this span, how long did it take for you?

Although I've motored in these waters for years, this will be my first trip aboard a sailboat in the area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Transit Time?

This is not an answer based n the experience of your particular passage, but rather on those that have any degree of complication.

Take the actual distance and divide it by your speed. Use 4.5 in your case. This will give you the straight out time. Then double it, if you feel lucky. Triple it, if you don't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-13-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWollard View Post
...................... Although I've motored in these waters for years, this will be my first trip aboard a sailboat in the area.
Of course, if you're taking the ICW, you will still be motoring except for the Biscayne Bay. We've taken this route many times,- more often southbound as we would be fighting the current offshore. Wether you're starting from Buttonwood Sound on the bayside or the Port Largo Canal area on the ocean side, you'll have an easy day to Miami or you could push to Ft. Lauderdale. You don't mention wether you plan on marina stops, anchoring, or traveling into the dark. Let's assume that you plan to take moderate days and anchor out. This would result in a very easy three day trip by anchoring at the Marine Stadium just north of the Rickenbaker Causway; anchoring at Pelican Harbor at Highlands Beach and then to Jupiter. If you were to take longer days and make the trip in two days; then, Lake Sylvia in Ft. Lauderdale would likely be your best one stop. You also have a good anchorage option at Lake Worth, but that;s getting pretty close to Jupiter. Most of the bridges on this route that are on a restricted schedule are opening every thirty minutes. You'll time some well and just miss some. Call each bridge on VHF 9 when your still fifteen minutes away to check their opening schedule and share your intentions. When they are aware of your approach you might get a few minutes grace. You can best calculate your average bridge wait time by adding ten minutes for every one you need to raise.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainForce For This Useful Post:
TheWollard (07-14-2013)
Old 07-13-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Depends on time of year and how hard you want to push. In the winter I plan no more than 8 hours, and if a lot of bridges, maybe 6 hours X speed. In summer, I can allow 10 to 12 hours X speed.
Old 07-13-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

IIRC they are playing with bridge hours on one of the casueways due to road construction around Fort Lauderdale, so it really would pay to check the charts and call ahead, yes, to every blasted bridge authority to confirm what the schedules are for anything you can't slip under. Unless you can find someone who is in the area and Real Damn Sure about them. And of course, weekend hours are going to be different from weekday openings that give higher priority to rush hour road traffic.
Old 07-14-2013
Winch Fouler

TheWollard is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all for the insights, especially CaptainForce.

I plan to leave Islamorada on July 29th. Depending on the weather, I may skip the ICW and go outside. The current would be in my favor, afterall. I'm researching the inlets now to create a list of the good, bad, and ugly for re-entering the ICW.

I'm looking to cruise for 12 hours per day during this trip, since I've got plenty of daylight available. I'm planning to stay on the hook or mooring ball.

Old 07-14-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

For easy inlets while northbound from the keys I would favor Governors Cut in Miami, Port Everglades at Ft. Lauderdale and Lake Worth Inlet at Palm Beach.

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.