SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Florida & SE US East Coast (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/florida-se-us-east-coast/)
-   -   Charleston to Savannah- inside or outside? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/florida-se-us-east-coast/87479-charleston-savannah-inside-outside.html)

CD28 05-16-2012 08:20 PM

Charleston to Savannah- inside or outside?

Hello-
Looking for the pros and cons of these two routes. The coastal route would not be an overnight but a two day hop with an overnight -perhaps Edisto...
Have many years of great lakes sailing experience but the ICW or a 2 day coastal hop will be new experiences. Personal observations or concerns for rookies would be appreciated.
(have the charts and guides... Always enjoy the personal observations from this forum)
Thx

leogallant 05-16-2012 09:25 PM

Charleston to Savannah- inside or outside?

We did ICW from Hilton Head to Charleston last year as new owners of a Newport 30. Loved the scenery along the way! Takes longer, but nice, if you've got the time.

PBzeer 05-16-2012 09:26 PM

Re: Charleston to Savannah- inside or outside?

Mostly depends on if you want to sail or motor.

There's several ways to make the trip. And I should note, I've never gone into Savannah, I always go to the north end of Hilton Head Island.

3 days on the ICW. Anchor at Tom's Point, then Beaufort, then Savannah.

A long day, with a dawn start to the north end of Hilton Head (10 -11 hours at 5.5 knots) I'd rather put in my long day at the beginning. From Skull Creek (where I anchor) you can motor around the back side of Hilton Head down to Tybee Roads. You could also go to the South End and grab a marina, time permitting.

Leave Charleston late afternoon and overnight to Savannah.

souljour2000 05-16-2012 09:54 PM

Damn..beezer..is that a typo or do you really have over 14,000 posts in 10 years...?..Sorry...I don't think I or anyone could improve on your appraisal of the trip from Charleston to Savannah...

adams3287 05-30-2012 06:16 PM

I made the offshore trek last year in a 32 Islander from Canaveral, FL to Charleston then outside again to Beaufort, NC. You're biggest consideration is the weather window, we were becalmed for about half of our journey to Charleston but it was still nice, spotted dolphins all the way! If you have the equipment, experience and the weather is with you, the outside is always fun (in my book), but I will note that some of the prettiest scenery I had to take in was through the ICW in Carolina.

ltgoshen 01-02-2014 08:46 AM

I live in Beaufort SC, and have been working on my experience near-shore. I want to make 4 or 5 trips this year. I may do Race week the week of the 11th April in Charleston. I would like to do both the ICW and the near shore route. What happens to the current between the the inlet to the Broad river / St, Helena and Charleston Inlet? I have experience with the extreme flow coming and going at Port Royal. I'm just not experienced between the cuts and don't know what to expect between. I use the flow to help in my navigation, "leave with the tide- return with the tide" It is almost always a southerly wind blowing will I have to beat the whole way back or do I just motor the whole way?
Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks for your help.
LT,

Vasco 01-02-2014 11:16 AM

You're heading south. If you're going further than GA skip Savannah and go Charleston to St. Mary's River (Cumberland Island, Fernandina Beach). Much easier than cutting back in to Savannah. Unless you really want to go all the way up the river and visit the old Savannah waterfront you wont miss much.

ltgoshen 01-02-2014 12:48 PM

Can I make that in 1 day?

CapnChuck 01-02-2014 01:10 PM

CD28. Info on your boat such as draft, is a little thin. Georgia has some very shallow spots along the ICW route that will need to be transited mid to high tide depending on your draft. Of course you won't have those issues offshore. I would suggest looking at the Cruisers Net website for details. Having said that, we would not miss traveling through Georgia. The waterway is peaceful and beautiful. There are many, many anchorages to stop for the night or wait for the tides. You decide. Chuck

ltgoshen 01-02-2014 08:32 PM

Thanks for the information. I draw 5'