ICW West Coast Florida - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Florida & SE US East Coast > Florida - Western
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-08-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
debbielobita is on a distinguished road
ICW West Coast Florida

I know this is not exactly sailing related, but I am new to this - so be patient please!
I currently live aboard my 30' motorsailer, and have been asked to help a friend move his 43' Hatteras sport fisher down from Tampa to Marathon. I have done the east ICW a few times, but never the west. We plan on going outside, but if weather is not agreeable, does anyone have any pros/cons for navigating the ICW, west coast of Florida?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 12-08-2013
DRFerron's Avatar
A mod and her dragon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,914
Thanks: 57
Thanked 133 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 10
DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW West Coast Florida

You might find some information in the Florida West Coast section of the Destinations forum here:

Florida - Western - SailNet Community

I'm going to move your thread there.
__________________
Donna


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
debbielobita (12-08-2013)
  #3  
Old 12-08-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 13
Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Re: ICW West Coast Florida

I cruised the Gulf coast often in the past, both inside and out, but haven't been there for many years, and some terrain-altering storms have blown through since then. Nevertheless, cruising the ICW was generally easy. In places, the channel became narrow, and you had to be careful to not wander out of it between the markers. Also, in stormy weather, currents can become strong in the ICW, but the Hatteras will have ample power to cope with anything you're likely to encounter. There are lots of good marinas, anchorages and restaurants between Tampa Bay and Fort Myers, and beyond. It should be a nice trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 12-08-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
debbielobita is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW West Coast Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
I cruised the Gulf coast often in the past, both inside and out, but haven't been there for many years, and some terrain-altering storms have blown through since then. Nevertheless, cruising the ICW was generally easy. In places, the channel became narrow, and you had to be careful to not wander out of it between the markers. Also, in stormy weather, currents can become strong in the ICW, but the Hatteras will have ample power to cope with anything you're likely to encounter. There are lots of good marinas, anchorages and restaurants between Tampa Bay and Fort Myers, and beyond. It should be a nice trip.
Thanks very much. I will be sure to share your comments with the Captain!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 12-08-2013
svHyLyte's Avatar
Old as Dirt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,706
Thanks: 12
Thanked 104 Times in 99 Posts
Rep Power: 6
svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW West Coast Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbielobita View Post
I know this is not exactly sailing related, but I am new to this - so be patient please!
I currently live aboard my 30' motorsailer, and have been asked to help a friend move his 43' Hatteras sport fisher down from Tampa to Marathon. I have done the east ICW a few times, but never the west. We plan on going outside, but if weather is not agreeable, does anyone have any pros/cons for navigating the ICW, west coast of Florida?
It would be wise for you to to click over to ActiveCaptain.com, register (free), and review the route you'll need to follow on the Charts, Maps, and aerial photos offered there.
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 12-08-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
debbielobita is on a distinguished road
Re: ICW West Coast Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It would be wise for you to to click over to ActiveCaptain.com, register (free), and review the route you'll need to follow on the Charts, Maps, and aerial photos offered there.
Thanks so much, that sounds very helpful!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sailing/Motoring Ratio- FL West Coast & ICW dbene9815 Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 1 05-04-2010 10:40 AM
West Coast of Florida Anchorages Seagypsywoman Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 4 04-06-2009 12:47 AM
florida west coast lv4sailing Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 1 01-09-2007 08:17 PM
west coast florida rads General Discussion (sailing related) 7 11-21-2004 06:33 PM
West Coast of Florida brownell Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 4 02-04-2001 08:25 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.