Sailing from St. Petersburg to Cape Canaveral - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-25-2015 Thread Starter

Sailing from St. Petersburg to Cape Canaveral

Hello all. I am purchasing a 36 ft Morgan and will be mooring here in Cocoa Beach. I heard the easiest way to get here is through the intercoastal via Ockachobee. Any suggestions and how long will it take to sail it here? Please advise the difficulty factor as well. Thanks!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-26-2015

Re: Sailing from St. Petersburg to Cape Canaveral

First off, you're not going to "sail" the Okeechobee waterway. You are going to have to motor. Also, if your mast height is greater than 49 feet, you're going to have to figure out what to do about the Port Mayaca railroad bridge. Info about the waterway here: USACE Jacksonville District

Other than that, how long it will take is largely up to you. How hard are you willing to push it? How early will you get up and get going? How late in the day will you continue? I wouldn't count on doing it in less than a week. Personally I would plan on taking my own, leisurely time about it, and allow at least a couple of weeks.

Good luck.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-26-2015 Thread Starter

Thank you. I did some research after my post and determined that I will just "go around" thru Marathon and either up the ICW around Miami, or, just stay outside all the way up to Canaveral. My mast is 49'6, so don't want the issue. I will plan on 2 weeks. Much easier and probably more enjoyable. Do you know if I will have any issues with bridges thru Marathon?
post #4 of 4 Old 02-26-2015
Old as Dirt!

Re: Sailing from St. Petersburg to Cape Canaveral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted W View Post
Thank you. I did some research after my post and determined that I will just "go around" thru Marathon and either up the ICW around Miami, or, just stay outside all the way up to Canaveral. My mast is 49'6, so don't want the issue. I will plan on 2 weeks. Much easier and probably more enjoyable. Do you know if I will have any issues with bridges thru Marathon?
No problems at Moser Channel Bridge, 63' there. Check out ActiveCaptain.com and use the interactive cruising guide for information on your route and potential stops/anchorages along the way.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.