SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Looking for dock/mooring/maintenance resources in Tampa area

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  boz86 
#1 ·
I've got a survey on Friday for a boat in the Tampa area. I know very little about that area, and could use some recommendations for some things that I need.

First off, I'll need a place to put the boat if the survey comes back clean and the sale goes through. Every marina I've called so far has been full, with a multi-month waiting list at best. Any recommendations on hidden gems? Is there a good resource for finding people with homes with dock space they want to rent? Any other recommendations?

Second is a decent boatyard. Best case scenario, I'll need some work done right off the bat. But worst case scenario, I'll need to find a place that can replace the engine (depends on the results of the survey). The only place I've found so far will only replace with a new engine, and that's more money than it's worth investing in the boat (I'm hoping to get a rebuilt engine, should that be needed) But I don't even know if that's worth it because I have not found a place that will quote/install a rebuilt engine yet. Any recommendations?

#6 ·
If the boat is up for a bit of a trip - bring it around to the East Coast of Florida and then up the St Johns River to Green Cove Springs Marina - you can hire someone to put in a rebuild - not sure if you could get the boat through the Okeechobee waterway your stick is probably too tall- would have to go around the Keys then.

I am not trying to be a pain in the ass - but you seem to have put the cart before the horse here - first thing before you even buy a boat in Florida - figure out where you will keep it and who can work on it - boats in Florida are cheap - storage, slips, repair is not.

#7 ·
....Green Cove Springs Marina - you can hire someone to put in a rebuild - ......
Unless something major has changed there, that is not a place i would take my boat for 'serious work'.
While it's one of the least expensive DIY marinas in FL, and with nice people running it, it's not a pro yard.
JB was probably their best at a time (but only in mornings....before sundowner time) and he passed away a while back.
Eclectic and interesting...a fun place, imo.

#10 ·
The Port Mayaca RR lift bridge has a fixed height of 49' when open, but it would be best to check with the canal authority before heading across the Okeechobee waterway. The nearby Indiantown Marina offered a tilt and tow service that reportedly could get a 55' mast through. The marina also is supposed to be relatively affordable, considering it is out of the way for most folks. It is a DIY yard and also claims full services.

In any case, my information is dated, so it would be best to check all of this before venturing across the state. Alternatively, the OP could have his mast pulled at the Glades storage facility before heading across Lake Okeechobee and have Indiantown step in on the other side.

If the "new" boat has a serious engine issue, it may not be realistic to head out on a long trip requiring lots of motoring.

#11 ·
Green Cove or Indiantown would allow the OP to do a lot of the work himself - if he is interested in doing that - he could hire out for additional help. Don't really know the current status of the quality of help at GCS marina , knew JB well when we kept a boat there. It was always a bit of a challenge to find good help - there were good workers around in the old days but a lot of hangers on also.

I am sure the OP knows this , if this is not his dream boat that he plans to keep for quite some time, in this market, be careful with how much you spend at a yard updating the boat, just figure you will never see the $$ that invest come back to you - its not the same economics as a house. I currently have a Pearson 26 - the previous owners kept most of the receipts for the work done on it . Two years ago - they had work done at a yard - they put $10K into a $4k boat - after the investment it was still just a $4K boat.

#13 ·
Craigslist is a good place to find private docks, behind someone's house, available for rent. There always seem to be a few listed. In general, though, I don't think most homeowners are going to allow you to do any extensive DIY in their backyard. Most of them also specifically note, no liveaboards.

Good luck.

#14 ·
For the yard, my friends have used Mar-Marine in Tarpon Springs, FL. They have pros and allow DIY work. I've talked to them and when I pull my boat next that's where I'm going.

I know of some slips available in New Port Richey but none open right now for that length of boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.