Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Florida & SE US East Coast > Florida - Western
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NOLAsailing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009

21feetofnewb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 21feetofnewb
New to Boating

Hi,

My name is Brett. I just moved here from southern Indiana roughly 6 months ago and I have come upon a Kells 21 fo almost nothing that is water safe lol...just needs a bit of work and some TLC. I have dreamed of owning a boat since I was 14 and spent my first weekend on the water. Granted it was the ohio river lol, but it was great none the less. I finally have the latter but I don't have any sailing experience and I was hoping there was someone around the Tampa area that would be willing to take me out for a day on a boat thats roughly the same size. I'm under the impression that its hard to get used to heeling and certain things like that and I would like to spend a day with someone who knows what they are doing. I just don't want to pay for a class. You will find I am a quick learner and Im not just looking for a free trip on a boat I just want to learn enough to atleast stay out in the bay for a while and learn enough to maybe head out to one of the islands on the gulf ^_^ let me know if anyone is up for this. Thank you!

Brett M. Harding

Looking for people to take me
out for a day. I have a boat but
no experience...let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Hi Brett,

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to sailing. My recommendation would be to find an active yacht club that host's weekly "beer can" races. Skippers are always looking for crew and you can get a great intro to sailing for no more than the cost of a 12 pack of beer.

Also, don't be afraid to ask around the marina if some of the more experienced sailors would like some crew or if they would be willing to go out with you for a couple of hours.

Good luck and have fun!
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2009

Thank you for the reply. I have actually looked at a couple in st. Pete my only worry with that is being so young, and not well off, that the boating community of Tampa would hold themselves a little beyond me lol. I posted and add on craigslist looking to crew a boat as well but I don't want to get used to being on something 35-40+ foot and have to single man my 21 foot lol well my fiance' doesn't count lol

Old 01-18-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21feetofnewb View Post
Thank you for the reply. I have actually looked at a couple in st. Pete my only worry with that is being so young, and not well off, that the boating community of Tampa would hold themselves a little beyond me lol. I posted and add on craigslist looking to crew a boat as well but I don't want to get used to being on something 35-40+ foot and have to single man my 21 foot lol well my fiance' doesn't count lol
DON"T WORRY ABOUT IT. There are lots of boats that would be happy to have you and your fiance. The principles are the same 21 ft or 40 ft and you can learn a lot fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-18-2009

Thanks a ton then! Ill get right on it!

Old 03-02-2009

raisin56 is on a distinguished road
Brett
I am boatless right now or I'd take you out on mine. Davis Island Yatch Club usually start up their summer Thursday night races in March. The club opens it's doors to the public those nights and you can go in and volunteer at the bar to crew for someone. If you can get down to Apollo Beach to the Tampa Sailing Squadron (TSS) they take visitors on the weekend, they are a very friendly group and I'm sure you can find help there.

Dan
Old 03-05-2009
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
St Petersburg

Hey Brett,

I moved here from MN about 9 months ago with my girlfriend. We live in St. Petersburg. I had some experience sailing but didn't have a boat. I convinced my gf to go get ASA 101 certified over one of the weekends. Anyhow she likes sailing now and I have a Ranger 22 that I keep in the St. Petersburg Municiple Marina. I was lucky and found a well built boat that was very dirty and cheap. I spent a couple of weekends cleaning, cleaning and cleaning and some painting on the inside and ended up with a pretty nice boat for about $2500. There are so many boats for sale around here but the catch is where to put it oince you buy it. There is a ton of junk boats that should be hauled off too so in case you haven't bought one or sunk a boatload of $$$ into one keep looking. Slip space for that sized boat...if you can find a slip is about $250/month. You can anchor in a bunch of areas but I wouldn't cause I;m a puss. Drop me a PM and I'll let you know next time I need a hand if you still want some practice. I need lots of practice too but I can handle the boat for daysailing if it's not too windy I get out on the weekends and sometimes the gf would rather shop than sail so I go out alone a lot too.
Old 09-13-2009

rk6johnson is on a distinguished road
You might try the St. Pete Sailing Center. I believe they have a good, low cost program to encourage and train sailors so long as you live in the area.
St. Petersburg Yacht Club*Sailing Center
Old 09-13-2009

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
i kinda agree with ians0012 - take a asa course - we took ours at brunt store marina from sw fla yachts - the instur. made us work as a team and not a cap'n and crew - we took the course in 2002 and we had never been on a sailboat or any boat of any kind before that and bought our boat in 2003
we sail a jeanneau ds40 and are full time cruisers now - we are still learning to sail and will never quit learning -
so take a course and then go out and make your own mistakes - join a sailing club and race and learn -
good luck and take the lady with you to the course and become a team sailing your boat
chuck patty and svsoulmates
on the hook cape may nj waiting on a weather window
Old 08-06-2013

TBApollo is on a distinguished road
Re: New to Boating

Hi Brett, I'm new to sailing too and shared the same dream. Also in Tampa. My family and I took an ASA course from SmarterSail, they are based in St Pete at the Magneson Resort next to the Skyway bridge.
Our plans were to buy a 25-30 footer but an acquaintance had a little Apollo 16 to get rid of and we took it on. Never thought I'd like the whole trailer thing (or small boat) but both are really great. The Apollo is making us more competent sailors and we can put the boat in wherever we want to sail for the day.

We have been invited to the above stated Thursday nights at Davis Island, have yet to make it but the people all sound nice.

One other source, is a Meet Up group I came across for sailors with and without boats. I've never hooked up with these folks but it sounds great --well, I need one more post before I'm allowed to add links but if you google tampa sailing meet up groups, it comes up first.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.