SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pulling the Boat near Crystal River

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  higgins 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I have my Catalina 30 with a 3'10" wing keel in the Crystal River Bay.
This year it's time to get a new bottom paint and fix some seacock issues.

Does anybody has some information where I can find the nearest Marina deep enough with a lift that can handle the boat ?

Thanks

#2 ·
I was hoping someone with more infomation would ans. your question,but i'll tell you what little i know[remember] I went into the crystal river 3 years ago for some emergency repairs,I found very few boating facilities and no haulout equipment,I understand there or at least 2 chanels going in,one of which is a barge chanel,perhaps theres more facilities that Didn't find,sorry I can't be more helpful

#3 ·
Hi sawingknot.

no need to be sorry, thanks anyway.

We have exactly 2 here in Crystal River, Pete's Pier and Twin Rivers Marina.

I can go to PP, but they don't lift a sailboat and they don't have the facilities.
TRM would do, but there is a high voltage power cable running at the over the junction of the 2 rivers, that my tall mast wouldn't clear.

The Barge Channel is nothing at all, it just leads to the power plant and is use to bring coal in, therefore the name.

I got a private email in between, and it looks Hernando would be the next thing to go. I could go in there on a high tide.

tnx again

#5 ·
Sterling Marina in Hernando, Great facility with a ships store. Gulfstar marina is next door.
The channel is pretty straight forward and well marked,there is an "S" turn as you approach the shoreline, head north then round the rock to head south. mid tide I never saw less than 6 ft. Here's a link you can zoom in and see the turn.
Bill,
Hernando Beach/Minnow Creek Inlet - Florida, United States

#10 ·
I've been in and out several times (4 ft. draft) and never had any problems just be aware of that "S" turn near shore. Be sure to follow the red marks in secession. There is one known "rock" in the channel just before the turn north but there is a BIG white sign with a red arrow pointing toward it. If you stay mid channel you'll be fine.
If you drive down to Sterling they generally have a handful of small charts showing you how to enter, Mike runs the office and Dennis takes care of the yard.
Bill,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.