SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Freedom 39 Express

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  FarCry 
#1 ·
Joining the quiet club here as the new owner of a cat ketch. It will be awhile before I can sail her but looking forward to the experience.

#4 ·
The pilot house version looks nice online, I've never seen one in person. I finally worked my way through most of the issues related to the OP. Recently I really have been enjoying the boat. I need to find some money in the budget to remove the reef off the bottom and slap on some fresh bottom paint. The ease of sail handling makes me wonder how I enjoyed tacking upwind so much previously! I assume you have found your way over to the Freedom Owners website here FreedomYachts.org ? Index page
There is a wealth of information to be had. Good luck on your search. And watch out for some of the less enlightened Freedom owners that are short 1 mast. You will hear crazy talk of gun mounts!!!:laugher

#6 · (Edited)
I raced my Freedom for the first time just over a week ago. If bored look here http://www.sailnet.com/forums/racing/154866-pigs-water-regatta.html It was also the first time I ran a regatta. Luckily we had great weather and things went very well. Tropical Storm Bertha a week earlier would have really screwed things up.

My wife and I ended up finishing 3rd of 10 behind an IC24 (modifed J24) and a very well sailed 40' Beneteau. It was a two day race. Day one was reaching and running. WOW was that ever fun!!!! DDW wing and wing in 18kts and the rest of the fleet looked like they had stopped for lunch. Day two was a long beat to windward in choppy seas. The gains from Saturday where lost on Sunday but we still had a blast. Looking forward to racing again.

#7 ·
Well , I had my Freedom 33 hauled yesterday, bottom painted and zincs replaced, by 3:00 PM she was back in the water and I was out for my first sail on her in two years !! She sailed beautifully and all the new amentities I installed while she was being worked on by me for past 2 years sure added to my comforyt aboard !
Now I look forward to taking some time off and do some cruising for a few weeks , and just plain taking advantage of the rest of the sommer/fall 's good weather. Feels great to be back in "sail Mode" again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.