SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Replace gas tank Catalina 27?

9K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  djodenda 
#1 ·
Hello, all - I have a 1973 Catalina 27 in dry storage in Saugatuk. Recently was on board checking things out and was a strong gas smell. Maintenance guys told me this morning that the gas tank is shot and leaking. Needs to be replaced. Since I have an onboard Atomic 4, it sounds like they are going to have to cut it out of the boat, which doesn't make me happy. I'm about to move it to Chicago to be closer to me. My questions: 1) any ideas how much this will cost me and 2) any recommendations on where I can get this work done?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Least expensive would be to do the work yourself and replace the tank with an off-the-shelf plastic tank. Most expensive would be to have the yard do the work and have a custom tank fabricated. The first option is probably a few hundred $. The second will probably cost a significant percentage of what the boat is worth.

#4 ·
A 73 C27 in storage, needing a tank and owner moving... unless it has sentimental "pricelessness" it's time to part ways. That aside.. are you assuming or just going on advice from others? I had a Oday 30 and the tank came out with us only cutting the filler neck off. without photos and measurements most of us here can't offer any help

#5 ·
Hi, Denise --- ouch, that does not sound good. I'm going by what the maintenance guy at the yard said, after he checked out the tank because it was leaking. Unfortunately I don't have photos, but because there is an inboard motor right next to the tank, there's really no way to get it out without cutting it out, as far as I know. Basically what I'm looking for is a) estimates on how much this will cost from anyone who might have experience and b) a recommendation for a good place to do it in Chicago. However, I'll start wrapping my mind around the idea that this is a deal-breaker. I have sent out emails asking for estimates from places found through a google search.

#6 ·
I recall on my 1978 ish Catalina 27 that the aluminum tank was in the quarterberth.. I would think you could sneak it out without really hacking anything up too badly

#7 ·
sorry.. words look harsher then the intent of not wanting to hurt your feelings. Looking at this Vid the tank is in the starboard bunk area but it's hard to tell.

#8 ·
Can't say specifically about your 27, but later Catalinas used Ronco "plastic" tanks. Ronco is still in business, and may be able to supply a tank. A friend had an older C 30 and replaced Fuel, water and waste tanks fairly easily.
Just checked, Catalina direct has a replacement aluminum tank available, $628.xx!
L

#9 ·
Thanks for that video link, Denise --- that does look very much different than cutting out through the side of the boat! That's something I could probably do - even if it's cutting through the top of that quarter berth. I've seen a replacement tank as well, Lillia. Do you have a link to that one?

#10 ·
Google Catalina Direct, (Catalina Direct:) find C 27 and check under the engine tab. They actually has a few options. Also try calling Catalina Yachts. My C 30 friend calls them all the time, they are very helpful, and sometimes you get to speak to the guys who built the boat. There are a number of C 27 groups, Yahoo or sailboat owners. One of the nice things about owning a boat the was in production for 30 years,is that somebody has already had the problem you are having.
For the record I have no connection with any of those places except as an occasional customer.
Lou

#11 ·
If it were me, I would just pull the existing tank out and get the closest plastic tank and build some brackets and strap it down. This is a perfect opportunity to learn a bit of fiberglass, as you will need to know it if you continue ownership. As far as listening to the "yard maintenance guy" give what they say with a grain of salt. They may have dollar figures in the there eyes. There is usually more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I would not worry too much about capacity, most sailboats don't use a tankful in an entire season, so smaller may well be better, use it up quicker, can keep full to avoid condensation without it getting as old. Unless you really do long distance cruising I would go smaller.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/72157-catalina-27-gas-tank-replacement.html
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/58951-catalina-27-fuel-tank-issues.html

I have seen some post questions as to permeability of plastic tanks, but seems to me the plastic tanks seem pretty thick I can't really see that as much of an issue.

#14 ·
From the thread that miatapaul linked to in Post #11 above, it looks like your tank is in the quarter berth. Yes you do have to make a few cuts to get the tank out, but they will be covered by the cushion there, so easy to cover up later. You can just use some wood salts under the cuts and screw everything back together. It's what I did on my previous boat when I replaced the holding tank in the vee-berth.

#15 ·
Ah, interesting --- thanks for the links to those posts! And thanks for the advice, Miatapaul. Now I'm wondering if I could even cut up the gas tank in advance and pull it out in pieces without having to cut the boat. Then replace with smaller plastic one. Although it would be MUCH easier to just make the cuts and do a simple repair job that would never be seen. If / when it comes time to sell the boat I could always go back and make it pretty.

I've just found this replacement tank for only $107 ... does that look right?? Seems very cheap compared to others...

Catalina Direct: Fuel Tank 15 Gal C-27 Gas, Inspection Port Option

#18 ·
Ah thanks ...Miatapaul. Now I'm wondering if I could even cut up the gas tank in advance and pull it out in pieces without having to cut the boat. Then replace with smaller plastic one. ...
Now you are starting to think about this sensibly. drain the tank completely, air it out and have at it with a Sawzall in situ/where it lives. Remove smaller pieces of tank. Replace with new fuel lines etc.
Test for leaks.
done.

#19 ·
An aluminum tank, if straight forward either rectangular or with one side mitered can be fabricated if you deal direct, for between $8-$10/gal. If you can't get it out whole...you cannot get the new similar size and shape back in. Extreme care (as mentioned above) must be taken to empty the tank and completely ventilate tank and vessel until fume free...almost no smell of gas if any cutting is to be done...sure it's aluminum! One miss to steel, one spark is an explosion.

Crowleys in Chicago is a fine yard....no affiliation...

#20 ·
I had to replace the tank on my 1982 Catalina 27 a year after I purchased it. It took about an hour with the aid of a jig saw to do the job. It was situated under the quarter-berth and fairly easy to remove and a local welding shop made me a new one out of welded aluminum. Unfortunately, they no longer make tanks because of all the new federal regulations and insane licensing expenses.

Gary :cool:

#22 ·
Update: I had the maintenance guys at the yard drain the gas tank and it has been airing out for several days. I purchased a new tank from catalina direct:

Catalina Direct: Fuel Tank 15 Gallon C-27w/ Atomic 4 Engine

I looked at the plastic tanks mentioned by an earlier poster but unfortunately none of the sizes (and there were a ton of them) seemed to fit the dimensions of the tank that will be coming out, so I went with the one from Catalina direct. I also got the fuel gauge, because why wouldn't you?

I told the yard guys that I will be taking out the old tank myself - carefully sawing through the top of the quarter berth so I can get the tank out in one piece and get the new one in. I will take out the old, checking all the hoses etc in the process to see if any are in bad shape, then I will place the new one in and have the yard guys hook it up and test it. I'll post some pictures and maybe even a video of the process. Will happen in the next few weeks (waiting on shipping on the new tank).

Thanks for all the advice - will keep you posted!

#23 ·
Glad its working out for you! I'd figure on replacing all the hoses, they are proablely original and therefore 30+ years old. Much easier to do it now instead of doing it over again in a few months. Make sure you get good quality stainless hose clamps. The adjuster screws on the cheap ones will rust away in less than two years.
Lou

#26 ·
Trust me there is no one cheaper than me, But sometimes the cheaper way involves spending a bit more money up front. Check with the big distributers, Sailnet, West Marine, Defender, Hamilton Marine, James town, are my usual suspects. Some times it will be easier to install the hose before the tank is installed. What you don't want to do is have to remove and reinstall the tank to replace the hose you didn't. Ditto good quality clamps like awab, are several times more expensive than what you get at Pep Boys or Autozone, BUT 18 months from now, when you are hanging upside down with sweat dripping in your eyes trying to replace the "stainless" hose clamp that rusted away, you will NOT be grateful for the $3.00 a clamp you saved. I say this having spent too much of my life hanging upside down with sweat dripping in my eyes re-re doing things. Make sure it is fuel line, water hose can dissolve if subject to petroleum products. Compared to what you paid for the tank, another $20.00 for the hose won't matter. And three weeks from now, when you are sailing, you will be much happier knowing that you will NEVER have to work on that xxxxxxx fuel tank again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.