Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Contributing Authors > Gear and Maintenance Articles
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009

RalphJS is on a distinguished road
How about a reflecting mirror for daytime signaling, and a flasher for nightime, attached to the life jacket? Besides the whistle, I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2009

SFC270 is on a distinguished road
A very important factor here is the direction of the load versus the run of the jackline. So a line runs parallel to the boat, fore and aft. A falling load (e.g. me) slips off the rail and into the water. The force of my weight is pulling in the middle of the jackline. This means the line has to hold my weight times the shock load times a multiplier (200% at least) due to the vector force.

This having been said, I agree there is a very large safety factor. But allowing for wear & tear, UV degredation, shock factor, vector forces, I like the idea of a large safety factor.
Old 05-04-2010

xxuxx is on a distinguished road
Abbott drogue

Capt Abbott has a wonderful way of rigging a drogue using 200' of line, looped off the the 2 aft winches. This way one may add or delete drag by sliding more stuff down the loop with shackles.
Old 05-04-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=xxuxx;600481]Capt Abbott has a wonderful way of rigging a drogue using 200' of line, looped off the the 2 aft winches. This way one may add or delete drag by sliding more stuff down the loop with shackles.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I thought that was clever too.

A few months ago I pulled several drogues through the water, pulled warps with weight added, and addapted what data I could find from other sources. This rather long post was the result:
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2010/03/sea-brake-24-test-in-calm-weather-but.html

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2010

edwmama is on a distinguished road
What about those net webbing that I see some boats on their life lines

Are those of any value? Do they really keep crew members from falling overboard ?

Edwmama@yahoo.com
Old 11-22-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
They are great in keeping loose sails, kids and animals from going overboard. I took the ones on my boat off because they really got in the way of docklines and haven't missed them since, but I do have roller-furling for the headsail and don't need to drop any sails on deck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-17-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Safety Equipment for Offshore Sailing

I recently thought about this, and the requirements for flares:
http://sailingwithkids.net/2014/01/03/uscg-vs-solas-flares-for-offshore-sailing/

I'd be curious to see a realistic and honest update.

There has been a strong argument made that with modern tools such as EPRIB’s, AIS and PLB’s, signal flares hardly get used:

“The Royal Yachting Association of Britain is pressing for their removal as a requirement for seafarers. They are insisting that no persuasive evidence that flares have search and rescue benefits that cannot be provided by modern technology. In today’s modern age there is no compelling case to support the mandatory requirement of flares as a practical and useful method of initiating a distress alert and location.”

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
The Following User Says Thank You to vtsailguy For This Useful Post:
norsearayder (09-14-2014)
Old 01-17-2014

xxuxx is on a distinguished road

From an experienced delivery captain, here is what I have found. While EPIRB etc etc are great, there is another dimension from the coast guard perspective. It changes lat/long (2 dimensions) to 3 dimensions from the verticle smoke in daytime, making it just that much easier to spot you. At night it is the light from flares that pinpoint your position, especially in 20+ foot seas.
For any delivery crew of mine, all crew must wear a strobe in case of accidental overboard at night. One as no idea how valuable it can be at night versus a sound device, which IMHO doesn't do crap at night.
In short, both are needed. Better to be over safe than under safe.
By the way, I am Captain Christine-USCG Master w/STCW and am available for any yacht delivery needs you may have, including assisted deliveries.
Old 01-18-2014

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

[quote=xxuxx;1317586]It changes lat/long (2 dimensions) to 3 dimensions from the verticle smoke in daytime, making it just that much easier to spot you.[/quote]

I'd be curious to find data from the coast guard about what aspects led to finding people to-be-rescued. Smoke? Flares? GPS? VHF? etc etc

ISAF regs ask for just 2 smokes. To be useful you'd need a) to see/hear the coasties coming and b) have some left........

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 01-18-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road

While on the topic of life saving I've often thought that, given a lot of us are old farts, money well spent would go to an onboard AED. not a nautical thing, but might be real useful.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.