Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JimMcGee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Forestay Nasty Surprise

Well I thought I was on the home stretch toward launching when I finished the cutlass bearing from hell. All I had to do was drop the rig, do an inspection, replace all the lights, mount the new wind sensor and antenna. One good day in the yard and off I'd go!

Not so fast. I've had this boat since '08 and this is the first time I've dropped the mast, though I did have a local yard inspect the rig three summers ago using a high reach (they pronounced everything good).

When we got the rig on the ground the first thing I noticed was the masthead light was toast from UV (I expected that), same with the lens on the steaming light (no problem ordering a new lens). Then I started looking at the rigging...not good.

Evidently somewhere along the line there was a furler jam that started to unwind the wire in the forestay. I'm pretty careful about not forcing anything, which has me wondering how long it's been this way and did the other yard miss this when they did the inspection? The surveyor in '08 didn't go up the rig.

When I think about some of the winds we were sailing in last season I get a sinking feeling in my stomach.

I allowed myself to put this job off the past two seasons because the yard where I stored for the winter wasn't equipped to take down the mast.

So here's the question. For those of you who don't take the mast down every winter how often do you pull your rig for an inspection? What's prudent vs. overkill?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 05-31-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Forestay Nasty Surprise

I don't see your halyard run through the 'restrainer' in the picture.. had it been it might have prevented the culprit halyard wrap. Or had you already pulled it out?

Around here where boats stay in the water all year I reckon there are plenty of boats that haven't dropped the rig in perhaps decades... lots of trusting to 'luck' I suspect.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I don't see your halyard run through the 'restrainer' in the picture.. had it been it might have prevented the culprit halyard wrap. Or had you already pulled it out?
Faster, you're seeing the spinnaker halyard in that shot, the jib halyard does run through the "preventer", It's just visible coming out of the preventer at the top of the photo.

I had Dave (the marina owner) take a look at it and he commented that this preventer was probably added by a previous owner as it's not stock on Catalinas. The fact that it's there is one of the reasons I'm wondering about the age of the damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Around here where boats stay in the water all year I reckon there are plenty of boats that haven't dropped the rig in perhaps decades... lots of trusting to 'luck' I suspect.
I got the same thing talking to folks at the dockside pub after I found this. Most said they hadn't dropped their rig in many years if at all. I'm trying to figure out what makes sense from a preventative maintenance standpoint.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-31-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Faster, you're seeing the spinnaker halyard in that shot, the jib halyard does run through the "preventer", It's just visible coming out of the preventer at the top of the photo.

I had Dave (the marina owner) take a look at it and he commented that this preventer was probably added by a previous owner as it's not stock on Catalinas. The fact that it's there is one of the reasons I'm wondering about the age of the damage...
Gotcha... can just see the wire there now, sorry. Probably does mean it happened some time ago

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-31-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Every 5 years the rig should be thoroughly inspected from top to bottom. Be thankful you found this!
Old 05-31-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We drop our mast every 5-7 years or so but inspect every year. Since its rod rigging hard to see problems from a cursory inspection.

Is the Dave , Dave from Silver Cloud? If it is he's top notch. He helped us a few years ago when we were returning from Long Island Sound to the Chesapeake with a muffler? mixer issue . Top notch operation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Is the Dave , Dave from Silver Cloud? If it is he's top notch. He helped us a few years ago when we were returning from Long Island Sound to the Chesapeake with a muffler? mixer issue . Top notch operation.
It is. For multiple reasons I decided to haul at Silver Cloud ahead of Sandy rather than at our marina and I'm glad we did.

I agree with everything you said about Dave and Silver Cloud. Not only is he sharp but his son Dennis and the guys he has working for him know their stuff.

You picked a good spot to troubleshoot your muffler problem.
chef2sail likes this.

Old 06-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

A little bit of luck and some heavy leaning on the tolerances that are built into "safety margins". This is the kind of thing that makes you happy you (or the designer) went a size up on the wire.

Nice catch and thanks for alerting us to the merits of dropping the rig periodically for a really good inspection. Might have to do that before departing for the big trip instead of just going up the mast for a look-see.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-01-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Well I thought I was on the home stretch toward launching when I finished the cutlass bearing from hell. All I had to do was drop the rig, do an inspection, replace all the lights, mount the new wind sensor and antenna. One good day in the yard and off I'd go!

Not so fast. I've had this boat since '08 and this is the first time I've dropped the mast, though I did have a local yard inspect the rig three summers ago using a high reach (they pronounced everything good).

When we got the rig on the ground the first thing I noticed was the masthead light was toast from UV (I expected that), same with the lens on the steaming light (no problem ordering a new lens). Then I started looking at the rigging...not good.

Evidently somewhere along the line there was a furler jam that started to unwind the wire in the forestay. I'm pretty careful about not forcing anything, which has me wondering how long it's been this way and did the other yard miss this when they did the inspection? The surveyor in '08 didn't go up the rig.

When I think about some of the winds we were sailing in last season I get a sinking feeling in my stomach.

I allowed myself to put this job off the past two seasons because the yard where I stored for the winter wasn't equipped to take down the mast.

So here's the question. For those of you who don't take the mast down every winter how often do you pull your rig for an inspection? What's prudent vs. overkill?
Ahoy JIm,

I just got done doing a refit on my mast in Thailand. I've pulled the mast 3 times in 18 years. Since it is an old woody it requires a bit more care. Each time I've found different issues, that I did not catch on my up the mast/rig inspections. This time I removed all fittings, sanded, painted, refinshed, scarfed in some new wood and replaced the mast head fittings for the forestay/backstay. Next year I'll rerig with new SS wire.

Not sure what others do, but this schedule seems to work for me, especially given the miles we are putting on.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.