Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MedSailor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
More fun with the Mantus Anchor...

After being a disciple of the Bruce (genuine only please) for many years, the Mantus is now my primary anchor. I've been enjoying it's very VERY quick setting ability and take comfort (though rarely actually use) it's short scope holding ability.

Last weekend we had some more (unintentional this time) fun.

On Memorial day, in my neck of the woods, there was about 13ft of tidal movement and I was riding that sleigh-ride of an ebb back to my slip. Only problem is that (as you can see from the tide bottoming off the chart) there wouldn't be enough water behind my slip for me to get in. So I had to pick somewhere nearby and anchor for a few hours.

I chose a little bay that I'd passed a million time but never anchored in. It is only about 4KM from my slip, so I'd never had the need to anchor there. Actually that was plan "b" but plan "A" (grabbing a state park buoy in another nearby cove" was thwarted when I saw the buoy about 4 feet from shore.

I pulled into said bay, and with the wife at the helm we began regular anchoring procedures. We agreed on the spot, she stopped forward motion, and began reversing in idle, and I let out the anchor.

Only problem is, there was about a 2.5kt+ current swirling in the bay and it took us backwards at at least that speed. So I'm paying out the anchor and I don't realise how fast we're going in reverse, because I'm only looking at the wake on the chain, not our motion relative to the landscape. I think we're doing about 0.5kt in reverse, but we're actually doing 3kts or more in reverse.

I try and slow the chain freewheeling out and the chain stops paying out as the clutch catches (normal for my windlass) and suddenly I see the anchor chain going out at a very, VERY flat angle in front of the boat.

I've let out about 65ft of chain in 40ft of depth and she's caught and we're puling harder on it (in an instant) than I've ever seen us do, and we typically back down at 2/3 throttle in reverse. Suddenly the bowsprit dips down TWO FEET and we come to a sudden stop.

I'd say she's set. Actually, I'm a bit stressed that we've snagged a cable or something. Turns out this bay is all rocks. Probably has too much tidal flow and current to accumulate sand. Who knows, but it's low tide and all I see are rocks in every direction. Likely snagged a rock or cable....

I let out a bunch more chain to make 4:1. Then the current picks up and we're surrounded by standing waves. It's like we're anchored in a class-something rapid. I let out more chain. Being anchored in a rushing river is making me nervous, but then again, I snagged a cable, or sunken submarine right? I might never get my anchor back, but at least we're hooked up well....

Come time to bring her up and the chain was really, REALLY stuck twice. Both times brute force with windlass and engine freed it from a rock. Then, the anchor itself. I could tell when we got to her, and I expected an epic struggle. Nope, she came free with just about as much effort as she does from sand.

It seems to me that the anchor set really well, and REALLY FAST in rocks on a ridiculously short scope and yet was able to be retrieved with ease. Good anchor design or dumb luck on my part? Who knows? Was it the anchor that even did the set or the chain that found a rock? Again, who know, though I'd bet it's the anchor....

A nice reminder that you never have it all figured out when it comes to anchoring in the Salish Sea....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: More fun with the Mantus Anchor...

We had a -4 to +12 down here in Edmonds over the weekend. Went from 7' on my depth guage, to over 21' from extreme low to high! So that is 8-22' since my guage is a foot below WL!

Was doing 4+ knots thru agate pass on my way home from bremerton.....oh yeah, that was current alone, add int he 6 knots of boat speed......10+ in a 6ksb! not bad eh!LOLOL

Marty
Old 06-01-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

After pulling up the anchor, I was motoring home in the Bellinham channel, about 2.5 hrs from slack tide. The speedo said 7kts and the GPS said 2.1 Hmmm...... Lucky for me, time is on my side.

A little while later, I look to the right... Why am I still abreast of where I pulled up the anchor? I'm also much, much closer to the island on my left than I was steering for. I turn 90deg to the right and speedo still says 7kts and the gps says 0.2. Looks like most of my gps speed was sideways.

Steered the rest of the way home by aiming the bow between 90 and 120 degrees away from where I wanted to go. The combination of vectors meant I was going the correct direction (slowly).

MedSailor
blt2ski likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I had to do that coming into the bremerton dock. veered some 45degrees away from where I wanted to go, and still went forward. Tried to dock. a fellow caught the bow, around I went piroeting into the dock with the bumpers on the wrong side! but it sure looked like I knew what I was (not) doing! LOL

Fun time that were!

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.