Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tschmidty

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013

cloudman42 is on a distinguished road
Nautical Developement Offshore 40 In-Mast Furler

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Nautical Development Offshore 40 built in 1984. Not many of these boats were built and the company is no longer in business I hear.

As part of the improvements that showed up on the survey I had all the standing rigging replaced and upgraded. Part of this process was removal and inspection of the in mast furling system which is a Schaefer 1000. After the rigging company replaced it in the mast when I try to deploy the main the furling tube tends to bend out of the mast housing at about mid way up the mast and binds preventing a clean deployment of the sail. I suspect that the furling rig does not have enough tension on it.

I spoke to a rep from Schaefer on the phone about the problem and to ask about how much torque it should have but the rep told me it was not designed as an in mast system originally but a couple of companies (Cabo Rico and Nautical Development) used it as an in mast system. She didn't have any tech specs so wasn't able to answer my question.

Does anyone know how much torque I can tension the system to. It has one main nut clamping the rig to the mast at the base. Obviously I don't want to over torque it and damage the bearing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road
Re: Nautical Developement Offshore 40 In-Mast Furler

OK, not a great answer here but bottom line you have to tension it it at least as much as it will take to get it to not bind up. I would agree with your assessment that there is not enough tension as it is.

It should take a lot to damage the bearing, but in any case if it is going to bind it is 100% worthless as it is. Plus I have no idea how you would measure the torque in any case so a number is going to just be supposition. Not a great situation since you really want to be able to count on it deploying/furling when you need it.

My humble suggestion is to tighten it a bit at a time until it works unless you feel the tension is getting crazy high (but it should need to be pretty high in any case. And I am guessing you are of course deploying or furling it bow into the wind.
Old 06-03-2013

Thanks for the advice. Yes we are making sure we are fully into wind when trying to deploy the main. The idea of a torque setting is the tension is simply a nut locked in place with a split pin on the attachment point on the base of the mast and a torque wrench with a socket of the correct size could apply a measured amount of tension. I will try the small increment technique and let you know. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Ah, well a torque wrench will give you a reference point at least for adjustment, although it won't directly relate to tension and I don't know of any good way/formula to relate those. But if you think in terms of halyard tension it needs to be pretty dang high.

Also, I'm curious did it furl/unfurl OK before the rigging company redid things? If so that might mean it would be a good idea to turn it back over to them to work on if you can.
Faster likes this.
Old 06-03-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

There is a boat in Heriot Bay BC with an in mast furler. In a good nothwesterly you can hear it howl a quarter mile away. So they turn her end for end. Then, in a good southeasterly you can hear it howl a quarter mile away.
Old 06-04-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Brent, I wonder if the boat in question is at Bristol or other boat with a Hood furler? Ours does howl with a wind coming on either stern quarter, say a broad reach rather than a run. When we bought Ainia it came with a 'flute-stopper' which the was brand new since the PO kept the boat on a mooring and was rarerly if ever pointed in the wrong direction. We were on a dock in NYC and quickly learned how valuable the flute stopper is. Quite a simple device really. It is a piece of Dacron sailcloth about six inches wide with large, flat 'buttons' pop-riveted to the cloth about every three feet. At top and bottom there is a grommet. You position the thing with the cloth edges inside the main slot and the buttons outside and hoist it up the mast above the furled sailed. We use a light masthead burgee halyard to hoist since there is no load to worry about. Bottom of the stopper ties to a mast cleat. You have to be able to get above the furled sail conveniently to do this. Our boom is quite big and flat on top so it is easy to stand on it and you have two hands free to work. Once you gat the hang of it, it takes about five minutes to put up and 30 seconds to take down. We only use it at a dock if the winds are the wrong direction or we are leaving the boat for a time.
Old 06-04-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

To the OP, I don't think there is much risk of over-tightening. Our in-mast is a Hood furler of some sort and is not all that tight. Your gradual approach makes sense. One other thing to check, how much tension do you have on the outhaul as you unfurl? With our boat, you can get jams in two ways and both happen when the sail is about 1/3 out. If you too much sail unfurled in relation to the amount of tension you can get a jam inside the mast. If you have too much tension, the outhaul tries to pull the middle section of the furled sail out and jams in the slot. The secret is to find the correct balance. We unfurl while watching the sail and alternate unrolling some sail with tightening the outhaul. No real need to be exactly head to wind to do this although you want to be within 60* or so with the sheet not tight.Having a bit of wind in the sail helps the process.
Old 06-04-2013

Thanks for the advice. I have tensioned the furler with 60ft lbs so far and will try it next time out on the water. I agree that it makes sense to have tension on the outhaul when furling. I will make sure I do that also.

After I had applied additional torque the whole furling rig centered up in the mast enclosure so I am pretty sure when the rig was re-installed the riggers just didn't tighten it down enough.
Old 06-04-2013

MaineRigger is on a distinguished road

I have a customer that has similar problems with their in mast furling system. I found that adjusting the angle of the boom made a big difference in the way the system worked. Raising the clew end of the boom slightly above the tack (changing the angle of resistance from down and aft to more aft) reduced the number of jams significantly. This particular boat has a hard vang - I was able to find the best possible angle for furling / unfurling and marked the vang at that position so it is easily repeatable - you could do the same thing by marking a topping lift at the optimal position.
Old 06-05-2013

Mainerigger thanks for that. I think the boom is very slightly lower at the far end. I will try adjusting it with the topping lift to slightly higher and see if that helps. This is my first sailboat so thank you everyone for all the good tips.

Last edited by cloudman42; 06-05-2013 at 09:09 AM.

Tags
furling problems , in mast furling , nautical offshore 40 , schafer furler