Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Ok I will ask a dumb, somewhat related question. One starting and one deep cycle battery on a Perko battery switch. Ok to start on the starting battery, and then switch to "both" on the selector switch, so that the batteries can charge via the alternator? Will this harm the anodes??
Leave it in 'both' anytime the engine is running or you are plugged into a charging source, put it to the house bank when not or at night if you have solar.
That keeps the start charged and takes the load where designed whilst hanging about and draining.

No need to be anal about it, switch the setting whenever you first go below after shutting down the engine. If you forget it for a day while on the hook you should be able to start using both as well.
Old 06-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
That's true if the wet cell and AGM batteries are hard wired together. However...

The only connection between the two banks (unless I select "BOTH" on the main switch, which I don't) is via the battery combiner. The combiner only connects the banks together when it senses a charging voltage ( >13.3V, I think), and the combiner limits the charging voltage to the AGM to about 14.2V (just below the recommended max charging voltage of 14.4V for a nominal 12V AGM).

The "acid test" (pun intended) is that everything seems OK with the AGM battery in this configuration for over three years now.

So you don't have a dedicated battery charger hooked into the batteries?
I was under the impression the float charge is different between the two types. Also how do you equalize and desulfate unlike batteries?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013

jimkyle99 is on a distinguished road

"Be sure to mount whatever you get with the cells running fore and aft, ie. the row of caps running port/starboard".

Why? First I've heard of this but then there is a lot I've not heard of
Old 06-05-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So you don't have a dedicated battery charger hooked into the batteries?
I was under the impression the float charge is different between the two types. Also how do you equalize and desulfate unlike batteries?
As I said above, both the solar panel and the shore power charger are wired to the main (golf cart battery) bank. The Yandina combiner limits the voltage to the AGM battery (bank). I rarely use the shore power charger, and the charge controller on the solar panel limits the voltage once the main bank is charged. The controller does have an "equalize" mode that kicks in once a month, but this doesn't matter to the AGM because it's "shielded" behind the combiner. I suppose that the AGM does experience higher voltages than it probably should for short periods, but this doesn't seem to have much of an effect, since the AGM is six-years-old now and seems to be fine (although the entire system has only been in place for two or three years). In any case, the AGM shouldn't need desulfonating since it's almost always fully charged.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-05-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Is the OP's 27ft boat inboard or outboard? If it is an outboard boat then there is no reason to have the complication of a starter vs house battery bank. Just have a single bank (or maybe even just a single group 27 battery if electrical needs are low). If the battery dies you can always pull start the motor.
Old 06-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Is the OP's 27ft boat inboard or outboard? .
Outboard... unknown if a charging coil/alternator is part of the picture.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-05-2013

mbaillie is on a distinguished road

I am running a 8hp 4 stroke electric start outboard, depth/fish finder, stereo and running lights.

We rarely use interior lights as we are afraid to have no battery left. Sounds as if my deep cycle is dead. I am thinking of buying 2 6v trojans running parallel and 1 12v deep cycle for engine with a built in charger as our boat is docked at a marina with power each night.

Will this work?
Old 06-05-2013
always busy with sailing

That will work, but that is extreme overkill for what you've described as your needs.

On my Catalina 25 we had two group 24 batteries in parallel (for a combined 150AH). They've never been plugged into shore power and charge off of solar and the tiny inboard alternator. Even with 12 days of cruising we never got below 80% state of charge.

I'd start with a single group 27 battery (about $100). If you find yourself needing more than get a second. 3 batteries with no fridge is overkill for an outboard boat.
Old 06-05-2013

mbaillie is on a distinguished road

im running a single group 24 and it keeps dying. I have a second group 24 that dies also. Time for new batteries. I want the most economical reliable battery setup for over night - 3 day trips so we can run stereo depth finder and running lights the whole time.
Old 06-05-2013
always busy with sailing

More batteries is not cheaper.

What is the power consumption of your running lights and depth fnder? You can then figure out the battery capacity needed.

You can probably upgrade your running lights to LED for less than the cost of adding a second or third battery. LEDs are approximately 10x more efficient, it's a big deal.

Tags
agm , batteries , chargers , charging , deep cycle