Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2013

mbaillie is on a distinguished road
Re: Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat

for now im not sure what type of lights are up there. we just purchased the boat several months ago.

I understand batteries are not cheap but being over powered is not a bad thing in my eyes.

Is it an easy task to change over the running lights to led?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

When I purchased my 28'er, the PO had two dual start/house batteries, both about 5 years old. The existing charger was the old style single stage charger and quickly cooked the batteries when left on, even overnight. I replaced both batteries with deep cycle group 27s and replaced the charger with a three stage charger wired directly to each battery. I use this set up for engine starting (Atomic Four), tiller pilot, lights, stereo and VHF. I randomly alternate which battery I use but after starting on one, switch to both after the ammmeter settles to less that 30 amps under the rationale that the starting battery needs the rapid high amp recharge and that both need the lower amp top off charge. Two <$100 wet cell group 27 deep cycle batteries will last more than 5 years, if cared for. However, maintenance free sealed AGMs would be a pleasure to have for just a few $s more.
A Guest 10 amp dual battery charger and two group 27 house batteries will cost just over $300 and give you about 100 useable amp hours, which has been more than enough for me.
John
ps. for sure, your engine will start with a deep cycle house battery, so you don't need a dedicated starting battery.

Last edited by ccriders; 06-09-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can buy replacement LED-based bulbs for incandescent fixtures. If it is the original light fixture (and decades old) then going to a new LED-based fixture is best.

Overpowered is bad in both being expensive and heavy.

Incandescent anchor lights can use as much as 20 watts (~2 amp hours, or 25 hours on a single G27 battery). LED ones can be as low as 1 watt (600 hours on a single G27 battery).

This is what I upgraded to:
2 NM NaviLED 360 All Round White Navigation Lamps - Navigation Lamps, Anchor / All Round White - Hella Marine

Tags
agm , batteries , chargers , charging , deep cycle