Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-03-2013

mbaillie is on a distinguished road
Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat

I am looking into changing my 2 deep cycle batteries that keep failing on me.

any suggestions for a good battery, inboard charger setup for a 27ft sailboat that doesn't use to much power normally for 2-3 day trips. Always docked at marina with power when not in use
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2013

norahs arc is on a distinguished road
Re: Power Battery Set up for 27ft sailboat

I suggest a couple of the marine deepcycle/starting batteries available at Canadian Tire, Costco,WalMart etc. (WalMart has 120 ah on sale for just under $90.00 right now.)
Be sure to mount whatever you get with the cells running fore and aft, ie. the row of caps running port/starboard.
For charging most of the newer automatic units should work for you. Size to meet your needs.
Old 06-04-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

If you are using the deep cycle batteries for house power only, the suggestion of deep cycle/starting batteries is just wrong. House power wants deep cycle only. Starting batteries cannot store the same power for the same money, and will be killed much sooner than true deep cycle batteries. They are just built for different kinds of use. Better to have one starting battery and one house battery if you only have two. If you have three, it's starting/house/house. I have had some luck buying batteries at my local battery supplier. Good guys, will give you a deal, etc. That doesn't help you much in Vancouver, but there will be a similar place there. My local place has batteries meant for trolling motors at 140Ah for $140 bux. Can't beat that. People seem to like putting in Trojan 6V golf cart batteries in series, or maybe 4 in series/parallel. They have a reputation for being reliable, but that's some expensive power.

As for charger, just go for a name brand SMART charger in the largest size you can manage. If it doesn't have to work too hard to recharge your batteries at the dock, it will not heat up and will last longer.

There is an enormous amount of information on this stuff in the electrical sub-forum. Have a look.
Old 06-04-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

On my Cal 2-27 I have two 6V "golf cart" batteries (Costco) as a "main" bank (about 200Ah capacity) and a 50Ah AGM "wheelchair" battery (Sears Diehard) as a "reserve". The alternator and battery chargers (shore power and solar) are wired to the main bank, with a Yandina battery combiner between the main and reserve banks. Either bank will start the Yanmar 2gm20, no sweat; so when I'm using any battery power I just leave the battery selector switch on the main bank all the time, saving the reserve as a back-up in case the main bank gets drawn down too much or fails for some other reason (neither of which as ever happened).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 06-04-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Can't let chrisncate go all "Monk" on us if I leave a typo
Old 06-04-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
On my Cal 2-27 I have two 6V "golf cart" batteries (Costco) as a "main" bank (about 200Ah capacity) and a 50Ah AGM "wheelchair" battery (Sears Diehard) as a "reserve". The alternator and battery chargers (shore power and solar) are wired to the main bank, with a Yandina battery combiner between the main and reserve banks. Either bank will start the Yanmar 2gm20, no sweat; so when I'm using any battery power I just leave the battery selector switch on the main bank all the time, saving the reserve as a back-up in case the main bank gets drawn down too much or fails for some other reason (neither of which as ever happened).
You have using wet and agm batteries which is not recommended to mix. Ho do you charge the AGM?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaillie View Post

any suggestions for a good battery, inboard charger setup for a 27ft sailboat that doesn't use to much power normally for 2-3 day trips. Always docked at marina with power when not in use

If your batteries are 'failing on you' they are probably 'done'. If you're not running a fridge, and esp if you're not running a lot of lights, or you're onto LEDs already then your usage is going to be very low indeed. Your needs won't be extreme.

If you were to get a good 100-120A/h deep cycle battery that should do you for the three and four day trips if you leave fully charged. Most outboard alternator's are weak and ineffective, but a modest solar panel would likely keep you going in summer. A pair of 6 volts wired in series would do you nicely too if you have the space for them.

Do a power budget so you have an idea of your actual usage. One of the problems with building up a large storage bank is that, though you can go some time without charging, if you run them down eventually it takes a very long time to bring them back if you don't have an effective charging system. I suppose nowadays if you've got kids and you've all got to charge up all the devices (phones, ipads, DVDplayers, etc etc) that your usage could be higher than one might think. For example a laptop on a small inverter can use as much power as a large fridge.

I'd keep a dedicated starting battery if your engine is electric start, otherwise no worries.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-04-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
You have using wet and agm batteries which is not recommended to mix. Ho do you charge the AGM?
That's true if the wet cell and AGM batteries are hard wired together. However...

The only connection between the two banks (unless I select "BOTH" on the main switch, which I don't) is via the battery combiner. The combiner only connects the banks together when it senses a charging voltage ( >13.3V, I think), and the combiner limits the charging voltage to the AGM to about 14.2V (just below the recommended max charging voltage of 14.4V for a nominal 12V AGM).

The "acid test" (pun intended) is that everything seems OK with the AGM battery in this configuration for over three years now.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 06-04-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaillie View Post

How about a little more info. How old are your batteries? Do you have a refrigerated icebox? Are you running a lot of electronics? Lots of lights and have you switched them over to LED's yet?
What kind/size engine are you starting? Any other 12V hogs on your boat?
Old 06-05-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Ok I will ask a dumb, somewhat related question. One starting and one deep cycle battery on a Perko battery switch. Ok to start on the starting battery, and then switch to "both" on the selector switch, so that the batteries can charge via the alternator? Will this harm the anodes??
Old 06-05-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
Ok I will ask a dumb, somewhat related question. One starting and one deep cycle battery on a Perko battery switch. Ok to start on the starting battery, and then switch to "both" on the selector switch, so that the batteries can charge via the alternator? Will this harm the anodes??
Your anodes will be fine...... your diodes will be OK too IF the switch is 'make before break' - as most are. Check this by turning on a radio or a light somewhere and switch from 1 to both to 2 and back. If the light goes out during the transitions, then don't switch batteries with the engine running. If the light stays on the whole time then you've got a 'make before break' switch.

Our current system doesn't use this type of cct, but on a previous boat we got into the habit of charging one or the other, rather than try to charge 'both' together.. esp house and starting batteries - they are likely to have very different demands. An ACR is not too expensive and does a better job.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Tags
agm , batteries , chargers , charging , deep cycle