Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-03-2013

rkapsi is on a distinguished road
Spinlock Deckvest 5D 275N in the US

Hello,

I'm quite interested in Spinlock's 275N Life Jacket but it doesn't look like West Marine & Co. are carrying the necessary 60g CO2 cylinders. It almost appears they're only available on the other side of the pond.

Do you think it's a problem or maybe even have experienced a situation where you'd been screwed if the local Marine store didn't carry the required cylinders?

I don't mind buying stuff over the Internet (and in bulk) but I'm a bit worried about running into odd situations where there's simply no spare cylinder available (in my case most likely traveling with the jacket by air and getting harassed by the TSA and getting all cylinders taken away).

Side question: The rearming kits are all the same? Say Mustang Survival's is the same as West Marine's and you can use any as long as the CO2 charge matches your life jacket's spec?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Spinlock Deckvest 5D 275N in the US

Iím a little confused because Iíve seen Spinlocks in West Marine, so I would have thought they could get the correct cylinder for you. Have you asked?

Although there is some crossover, rearming kits are not universal. Iím sure WM donít make their own life jackets, so theirs is probably a Mustang or Sospenders or similar. Spinlock uses or has used at least two and I think three different triggering mechanisms (UML, Hammar and I think conventional).

There are only a few fittings for cylinders so you can often find one that, while maybe not exactly the same, will work. As an example, I have a European 180Newton lifejacket that uses a 38 gram cartridge with the smaller screw thread(I forget the actual thread size), which isnít available here (I have a couple rearm kits) but West Marine has a cylinder that is the same except it is 35 grams, which I figure I could use in an emergency (it would still give me about 165N of buoyancy or about 37 pounds Ė most adult U.S. sold lifejackets are specíd at 35 pounds). My jacket also uses a UML pro sensor which is now being used on some Spinlocks so I am hopeful that these are now available here and will fit, although I havenít tried to confirm that.

I have traveled with my lifejacket and a rearm kit and although it has been questioned, I have never had a problem. I always pack it with a copy of the TSA leaflet that says you can carry one life jacket and two rearm kits.

http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...s_brochure.pdf

Prohibited Items | Transportation Security Administration

BTW, 275 Newton jackets are intended to right an unconscious person in a survival suit but they also restrict your ability to move and help yourself. If you are not going to be wearing a survival suit or similar, you may want to consider something in the 150N Ė 190N range. I think Spinlock do a 170N jacket. Just something to consider. And while I'm preaching, crotch straps and spray hoods are proven lifesavers - I don't understand why they aren't universal.

You do know that most euro jackets are not USCG approved so, while it is legal to wear one, it doesnít count towards having a lifejacket for each person on board, right? And for comparison, 100 Newtons = 22.48 pounds of buoyancy.

'Hope that was of some help
Old 06-04-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

there are several real sailing equipment suppliers in the US that have the re arming kits for spinlock. Mauri , Vela P2 marine to name a few
Old 06-04-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

This is where I bought mine and they carry the re-arming kits.

Spinlock Deckware PFD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-04-2013

rkapsi is on a distinguished road

Thanks.

As already mentioned, there are three versions of the 5D. The 170N with Pro Sensor (33g), the 170N with Hammar Hydrostatic (33g) and the 275N with Hammar Hydrostatic (60g).

West Marine, carries only the Spinlock with Pro Sensor. I'm using them only as an example as a place where I can walk-in and maybe find what I'm looking for. Getting that stuff over the Internet is always an option (directly from Spinlock if necessary).

Maybe I'm too worried about a hypothetical situation that never happens. I'm also not planning to go swimming with the vest and one spare should be more than enough for backup.

I'm aware of the USCG regulation. A spare USCG approved vest will be somewhere on the boat (always good to have an extra floaty to throw in the water).