Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-04-2013

Baloo_it is on a distinguished road
Cockpit drain holes

Hello, my boat is an Invicta 26 MK1 (1967) the sister of the famous Contessa 26. My intention is to do a singlehanded ocean crossing with it.
My concern is about the safety of the cockpit. Now there is one little drain in the back; not enough to drain out a wave.
My intention is to add a couple of drain holes (2,5-3 inch each) but i have problems to figure out the best solution; because the boat have two berth under the cockpit (left and right) and there is no much space (engine, tank, impeller on the back of the engine). The measurements says that i have around 10cm from the bottom of the cockpit to the waterline and 35cm from the bottom of the cockpit to the hull.
The biggest concern is about the water coming in the cockpit going upwind. The ideal solution is to cross the pipes but is'not so easy.

Have anybody faced similar situation and wich could be alternatives?

Thanks
RUGGERO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Cockpit drain holes

Is there space and opportunity to run the scuppers out the back of the cockpit (through the aft wall down low in the corners) towards the transom/ counter rather than straight down to the hull? That would give you more room for through hull valves and possibly keep the whole setup above the static waterline...

Good luck!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-05-2013

Actually the winning solution is to put a 3 inch exit in the back of the cockpit in the middle (above the existing one) . I can't go above the WL to the transom so i will exit directly to the bottom by the shortest way. The idea is to fiberglass all the thing.

If my math is right with this set up i don't suffer of the water return from sea to cockpit.
Am I right?

Thanks
RUGGERO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2013

JohnnyChristo is on a distinguished road
Cockpit drain holes

Suggest u put a flap valve on the outside similar to an exhaust flapper just to dampen a following sea wave that could damage the piping or at least stop a 3'' water spout in the cockpit lol
Old 06-15-2013

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

No way I'd fiberglass the whole pipe from the cockpit to the hull. The boat flexes. The cockpit and hull move in relation to each other. That movement will stress, weaken and likely damage the hose or pipe or whatever you want to call it. That thing leaks and you could be in trouble.
Buy through-hull fittings for the hull and the cockpit. You can get them in marelon, with a plastic strainer screen for the cockpit one to keep small objects from getting lost. Given the critical need for strength, and the short run, I'd use a wire-reinforced rubber (i.e. 'hardwall') hose between the through-hulls, and double clamp each end if the barbs are long enough. What you're doing is not uncommon, from what I understand, but you can't afford a leak in that hose.
Old 06-16-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Good luck. I've got a Contessa and I do think drains could be improved upon. I can speak from experience taking a wave over the stern and then sitting in a bathtub staring at my underwater engine panel for a few minutes. Of course we had the hatch boards in otherwise it would have all drained nicely into the cabin - one weakness of the Contessa is the big low cockpit and non existant bridge deck. I'm guessing your boat isn't too different.

But it's a hard job in an area with little room. One thing to consider would be just to double up the system you've got with two more drains and two more through hulls. This avoids the risks you'll encounter if you try something new (for example I agree with the problems mentioned above for your fiberglass idea).

If I were doing that I'd put the through hulls a few inches higher than the existing ones which are hardly above the water line.
Old 06-16-2013

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Another thing to remember--use the biggest hose you can fit and get the fittings for. A 2-inch diameter hose carries about 4x the water that a 1-inch hose carries.
Old 06-16-2013

I am installing a 4 inch self made fiberglass pipe from the bottom to the cockpit level and using a rubber joint (as suggested) it will exit in the back of the cockpit jast 2-3 inches above the existing drain (with an fiberglass elbow)

Old 06-16-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

By going custom fiberglass I question whether you're making things more difficult for yourself over using proven hardware and hoses. And a future buyer may look at it kind of funny. Although it certainly gives you more freedom.

I wanted to point out, and I think you may be doing this, that these extra cockpit drains need not be at the lowest point. If it's more convenient you could put them someplace above the cockpit floor, or mounted on a vertical surface for example. You really only need these extra drains when your cockpit really floods, sort of like the emergency drain on a sink or tub they can do that job even from higher up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.