SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Santana 525 Main Halyard issue (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100171-santana-525-main-halyard-issue.html)

nboyce 06-05-2013 12:15 PM

Santana 525 Main Halyard issue

I've had this Santana 525 ('78) for less than a year, so I don't know its history. It has a wire-to-rope internal halyard, and the wire just got a fatal fray near the wire-rope interface.

-I'd replace it with an all-rope halyard, but I can't do that without knowing what the sheave is like up top.

-I'd go up top to look at the sheave, but the main halyard is the broken one, and the jib halyards (there's two) don't go high enough. With messenger lines, I could temporary replace the main halyard with a jib halyard, just to send a climber to the top.

-Basically, if the sheave could handle 5/16" rope, I'd go all-rope. If it can only take wire, and is in fine shape, I'd go with wire-to-rope halyard. If the sheave looks messed up, or seized, I'd think about replacing it, which doesn't sound fun. OR, I could just say screw it, and send up a new wire-to-rope halyard just like the one I'm replacing, without even checking up there.

Any advice? I feel like I'm dealing with a lot of different variables up there.

Alex W 06-05-2013 12:23 PM

Re: Santana 525 Main Halyard issue

The 525 has a pretty light stick. Have you considered dropping it? I'd recommend doing that the first time (before climbing) so that you can safely inspect all standing rigging and sheaves.

If the sheave will only fit thinner line then I'd splice double braid to amsteel instead of running wire to rope. Amsteel is just as strong, low stretch, the splice is easier, and it weighs a lot less.

overbored 06-05-2013 12:40 PM

Call Schock boats and ask. they may have a conversion kit to Amsteel haylard. you could ask the question on the Santans 525 yahoo site. your boat could use 3/16" amsteel and will most likely fit in the wire sheave

northoceanbeach 06-05-2013 06:01 PM

I just went through this. Just go wire to rope. It's been working for you. You'll sail more with the time you saved.

nboyce 06-05-2013 06:29 PM

Ok I've decided to just assume I have a skinny sheave, and to be safe can't go with all-rope. I don't want to replace the sheave. And I can't even check on it until I have a new halyard.

So assuming I need it to be 1/8" on the sheave, my options are:

-Wire to rope (1/8" then 5/16")
-1/8" Amsteel to 5/16" double braid, spliced
-1/8" Amsteel, plus a polyester cover for handling (would this be stiff?)
-Core dependent high-tech doublebraid, stripped of its cover for 1/2 the length you're not handling...so 1/8" core.

The issue with the last two...is that a cover that can take a 1/8" core...is still pretty skinny. I'm sure my crew would appreciate 5/16" to handle. Could always cover it twice.

Thoughts?

MaineRigger 06-05-2013 06:53 PM

I agree with Alex W - the cross section of that mast is pretty small. Putting an adult of average weight that high aloft on a boat that size is risky. Drop the mast, switch to all rope and swap the sheave if you need to. Use the time to do a full inspection of the entire rig - be sure to disassemble and take a close look at the bolt / compression tube that ties the head stay and shrouds together.

Alex W 06-05-2013 08:45 PM

Using a strippable core dependent line (not all are strippable) is a good option, just expensive. You'd be looking at something like Warpspeed.

I'd do 5/32" Amsteel to 5/16" double braid. It'll be easier than 1/8" Amsteel to 5/16" double braid. 5/32" should still fit over the sheaves.

Since the mast step has a hinge (I just checked the user manual) this will be an easy mast to drop. I really do think that it's worth dropping it and checking over all mast mounted hardware on a new boat. You can do the whole thing (drop, inspect, replace halyard, raise) in a few hours.

You don't have a location, is this boat in Seattle?

nboyce 06-05-2013 10:21 PM

Yeah we're the Flying Burrito, on Lake Union.

I'm not positive, but I think some modifications/reinforcements by the previous owner (who we know) may make it a little harder to drop the mast...obviously need to take another look.

I'll have a shop do the Amsteel-double braid connection, if I go that route.

Alex W 06-05-2013 10:37 PM

I know that boat, I looked at it with a friend last summer when it was for sale. Overall it's a nice boat and it had a big sail inventory.

It looked to me like there was some deck step compression that is probably worth inspecting when you have the mast down.

See you out on the lake at Duck Dodge.

quadzilla 06-12-2013 02:52 PM

On our 525 we had similar situation. Went with 1/4 Warpspeed w/30' stripped. Works great and crew has no issues with 1/4 on main halyard as it's usually just used at the dock before and after sailing. Tried 1/4" Yale Crystalyne with colored full cover (to aid newbie crew in line ID) and it was a nightmare. Cover is much looser weave than Warpspeed and hung up at sheavebox. Warpspeed is good stuff.