SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Screw on the mast, Mast Steps (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100183-screw-mast-mast-steps.html)

rikhall 06-05-2013 08:00 PM

Screw on the mast, Mast Steps

OK - Opinions please. I am considering:

http://www.defender.com/images/602063.jpg

sold by Defender.

All polite suggestions welcome. 34 foot boat, mast is 41 feet high

I currently use a BlackDiamond climbing harness and a pair of Jumar Ascenders.

Thanks

Rik

marcusc130 06-05-2013 08:03 PM

Screw on the mast, Mast Steps

Seems like a ton of stuff for sheets, halyards, sails etc. to get caught on. I'd stick with the harness personally.

PorFin 06-05-2013 08:13 PM

Re: Screw on the mast, Mast Steps

Rik,

The ones you are considering are the same (or nearly so) ones I have on our mast.

I too use a harness and ascender set up; when we first got the boat I was even more Neanderthal, using old Army techniques (a swiss seat made from a sling rope and a Prussik knot in lieu of the ascender.)

Overall, I'm happy with the set up. I can safely ascend and descend without relying on another kind soul for assistance (which makes the wife happy.)

When you are figuring out how many you will need, remember that you'll want two parallel ones at the very top -- that makes longer periods standing at the masthead more comfortable.

The only thing that tickles those little hairs on the back of my neck is the lack of a positive stop on the outboard end of the steps.

IslanderGuy 06-05-2013 08:13 PM

I used the aluminum ones (here) and love them. Never get sheets or halyards caught, and it's so simple to climb up the mask to check something out. (Although I still use a harness and safety line) If a already had ascenders they might not be as useful, but having the ability or climb the mast without needing someone else to winch you up is huge, but you already have that with the ascenders...

rikhall 06-05-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorFin (Post 1040174)
The ones you are considering are the same (or nearly so) ones I have on our mast.

Were they on the boat when you got her or did you install them. If you installed them, I presume you drilled and tapped all the holes. What size bolt? And what about SS bolts on an aluminum mast?

Thanks

Rik

mad_machine 06-05-2013 08:39 PM

I have wondered about these. Do all the holes weaken the mast?

benesailor 06-05-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Were they on the boat when you got her or did you install them. If you installed them, I presume you drilled and tapped all the holes. What size bolt? And what about SS bolts on an aluminum mast?
How about stainless rivets sized appropriately to the wall thickness of the mast?

PorFin 06-05-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rikhall (Post 1040185)

Thanks

Rik

They were already installed when we took ownership. They are indeed mounted with s/s machine screws, although the exact size escapes me at the moment (I'll check next time I do a boat check.) They are sized to fit the mounting holes in the steps.

Whoever installed them used a sealant on them; not sure if it was TefGel but it could very well be. I've never found corrosion (knock on wood.)

I think with TelGel you'll be fine. A nylon washer between the screw head and the step probably wouldn't hurt either.

PorFin 06-05-2013 09:27 PM

Rik,

I just realized that the steps you are citing are composite -- ours are aluminum. So not the same, but of a similar design. Disregard the earlier nylon washer advice ;)

SVTatia 06-06-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorFin (Post 1040212)
Rik,

I just realized that the steps you are citing are composite -- ours are aluminum. So not the same, but of a similar design. Disregard the earlier nylon washer advice ;)

The mast vibrates quite a bit under some circumstances, wouldn't those folded aluminum steps cause a lot of noise?