Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Very Large Hull Indentation

I've read about this before. It may come from the boat resting on the support rather than the keel. The supports ~should~ keep the boat from moving sideways while the wait is resting on the keel. I have heard that it can be pushed back into place. I've seen advice before of getting some sort of compression post from the inside to push it back out. Once off the trailer, you might be able to do that or place weight in that specific place and hope that it will eventually go back to the way it should.

Still, it's not too bad. I've seen pictures of much worse.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013

superhornet59 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for responding, everyone! While I'm glad to hear optimistic responses, shouldn't I be concerned about the softness? Or if/when it finds its way back to the original shape, will it re-harden?

I mean, the boat sits on a cradle a opposed to relocatable jacks, so the supports will always be in that same location. Won't that cause fatigue over the winters, or cause the softness to spread/deepen until there is a cracking problem?

I'm considering putting the boat in the water, pressing the dents out, then tabbing that bulkhead into place (after it has been persuaded back into it's original position of course) but then I worry about creating a local hard spot if the hull remains soft.

Don't get me wrong, it's clear that the boat isn't going to sink as it is, but I want to make sure this problem is permanently contained, if not completely fixed.

Last edited by superhornet59; 06-07-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-07-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Superhornet.... curious about the boat year... according to Sailboat Data the US-25 last year of building this length boat is 1982... I have a 1982 built hull... are you sure you have a 1984?

US 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 06-07-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhornet59 View Post
I'm considering putting the boat in the water, pressing the dents out, then tabbing that bulkhead into place (after it has been persuaded back into it's original position of course) but then I worry about creating a local hard spot if the hull remains soft.

Don't get me wrong, it's clear that the boat isn't going to sink as it is, but I want to make sure this problem is permanently contained, if not completely fixed.
Read Don Casey's material on adding new fiberglass and tabbing the bulkhead. I believe you are supposed to put a layer of high density foam between the bulkhead and the hull to cushion and prevent a hard spot there. Just make sure you extend your laminates/strips far enough out to spread the load of the attachment to the hull.

Why don't you add some large layers of laminate to the soft areas first?

If you really want to stiffen that area, you could add stringers, using half cardboard rolls as a mold, and extending the laminate wrap no less than several inches on either side of the cardboard.
Old 06-07-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhornet59 View Post
Hi all, I've uploaded some images of the indentations, and I believe they speak for themselves.

I didn't know non-cored fiberglass could become delaminated (I thought either the fibers or resin would snap/fracture first) but that wouldn't be so bad because then I could just perform a resin injection + vacuum repair, which I have the equipment for. I've also considered adding some reinforcing fiberglass (possibly with a core in between) to stiffen the area, but I worry about creating high stress areas around the perimeter.

In the interior you can see there is a fiberglass covered plywood sole, but there used to be another plywood 'floor' overtop of that which rotted. You can see the perimeter of it where I cut the tabbing flush with the hull. I don't believe it was structural, but a part of me is still not particularly comfortable with launching and sailing the boat without a new floor. I don't want to install a new floor, only to find that the hull deforms again after launch and messes everything up, or that I have to tear it off to perform a hull repair I could do now.

I've done some tapping with various objects to try and 'hear' delamination (would expect a dull, hollow sound) but I haven't noticed anything. Mind you this is while it is still sitting on the support, the rudder-lift was just a quick test to see if the glass would bounce back (it didn't). Maybe if pressure was taken off, the layers would indeed 'inflate'. In any case, I don't know what failed here. There is no core, therefore there is no rot. I'm essentially dismissing the possibility of water-related damage. There are no cracks, fractures, tears, etc... however it is soft. What on earth can create such symptoms (or lack thereof)...?

Edit: looking at those interior photos I really have to think to myself.. why in the world did they NOT tab that entire rear bulkhead to the hull, geeeez!
I don,t see a big problem here. the affected areas may in time return to shape.
However i would for sure be making much larger pads to the shape of the hull so as to add more support for next year.
Making a grp pad of the hull is quite easy to do and then fit the pads to the top of the support.

The way to make the new pads would be like this.

Apply several coats of wax polish to the hull in a large area around the new support area.
after polishing off each coat apply a coat of pva.release agent allow to dry fully.

Then start laminating layer after layer approx 16 to 20 layers should be enough.
because of the area to be moulded and the fact that the more resin you use on each coat gravity will for sure either slide it down to the keel or just drop off. use the min resin to glass ratio..

std polyester resin can be used for this along with chopped strand matting...
when cured ( next day ) peel of the new moulding and trim .
then fit to the top of the support post.
The larger the moulding the more support it will offer.
Old 06-07-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road

It may depend on where you sail. If your conditions are not very rough it might be OK?
However, if you sail in conditions like San Francisco Bay that could be hazardous to your health. The interior pics really show the distortion. Where you only have partial contact with the bulkhead, that could create additional stress points on the hull. No way to know how fast it might fail. Might be worth the cost to have a surveyor look at it. Then, ask yourself how much your life is worth? Especially if you sail in cold water.

Paul T
Old 06-07-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I've seen that sort of distortion on small, light boats numerous times. I've also had it happen to one of my own boats. It will almost certainly pop out when the localized stress is relieved.

Since the inside of the affected areas is clear, once the hull has regained its shape, I would put some localized reinforcement in those areas. Some triangular or 1/2 round foam shapes glassed over with 17 Oz. biax, even some cardboard tubes glassed over - anything to give a shape to the glass so it will act as a stringer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-07-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

If it was me I would have those pads modified over the summer so they are adjustable.

When the boat comes out of the cradle those indentations may just go back.

I've seen bigger boats with cored hulls having similar indents that disappeared when lifted. Upon inspection with a straight edge I could find nothing.

Then again, I'm no expert.
Old 06-07-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

The concern is his description of the soft spot being simular to a car hood, that doesn't sound like something that will mend itself.

But then, I be no expert either

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-08-2013
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough

Fiberglass does not yield and stay permanently deformed like steel. It stretches and distorts; but if the strain is relieved it usually pulls back into shape by itself. It takes time to create the dent; it also takes time for the dent to pop back out. Don't expect it to happen as soon as you lift the boat off of the pads. Once it is in the water for a few weeks (or months) it -should- return to it's original shape. Go sailing; don't worry about the pad distortion.

Tags
hull indents oil can soft