Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013

superhornet59 is on a distinguished road
Very Large Hull Indentation

Hi everyone! Many a google search have led me here (because you guys really know what you're talking about!) but for once, I just can't find an answer because no one has asked an identical question... so here I am!

I have a 1984 US Yachts 25. It's always been good to me and has been rock solid. However, I skipped a sailing season last year, so it has spent two consecutive winters on its trailer (a flatbed trailer with a cradle attached to it, basically).

Now, there are two large 'dents' in the hull where the rear supports are. This probably formed last winter when the cockpit became flooded with water and froze, creating a huge weight in the stern area. I didn't notice the dents until a week ago, while tearing out the cabin which I intend to redo. There is only one bulkhead near the dents (which are around 18 inches in diameter, the port side being more prominent) and it isn't even tabbed except in two small spots, and I can now clearly see it doesn't fit the hull shape anymore. I should mention now that the hull is *solid fiberglass*, so this shouldn't be a matter of delamination. It is also bone dry, and there are no cracks that I can see.

I've heard it numerous times that this 'oil canning' effect is common and not a problem, as the fiberglass either return to its original shape or will stay that way.

However, what I haven't found online yet is someone explicitly mentioning that the area is now *soft*. I jacked the boat up by the rudder so it was just off the supports. The hull in general is completely stiff, but these indented areas are around as flexible as say, a car hood. Not spongy or anything, but you can visually see the are bend in if you put pressure on it.

What does this mean? I'm worried sick

Last edited by superhornet59; 06-06-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Very Large Hull Indentation

A picture would help BUT if you can flex it that easy compared to other nearby areas of the hull I would think you have some localized delamination

It would not be that big a deal to grind it out form inside and apply some new fiberglass and fill and fair it from the outside

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

It is very possible that under the extreme weight of water and/or ice, this/these area(s) gave up the ghost and that you may have some delamination in glass layers going on.

you do have several layers, your gel-coat, a matt, a roving, followed by the chopper gun, followed by a roving, then a matt. The worst part is/was the additives added to the resin ( for fast set ) made for some brittle resin batches .

I know that's not what you want to hear

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 06-06-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard. Pictures are worth somewhere around a thousand words. It would be helpful if you would post some, maybe with a ruler or pencil in the shot to give perspective.

That said, if your all-fiberglass hull is soft then I don't see any other explanation than it has failed within the layers by delaminating. Doesn't sound like that is really the case though from your explanation. Sounds more like typical oil canning from prolonged sitting on the trailer with a large amount of weight in it from the water.

Is your trailer a factory one or after market and are you certain that the supports are in the correct position for your boat?

You probably shouldn't jack your boat up from the rudder as you are asking for a problem of a whole different kind, maybe lifting from the keel would work?

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over what you have described. If it appears intact and doesn't leak, go sailing and see how the hull shape responds to being in the water for a while. If it keeps you up at night worrying then cut out the bad areas, feather the edges out at 12:1 and patch in new fiberglass.

Get some photos up when you can, it will help considerably with the advice you get.
Old 06-06-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

You already did the first part.. got the weight off. get some heat lamps try and warm the inside and out, see it it's finds it's "memory" If not get it even warmer and try to push it back into the curve it once had. If it doesn't want to stay.. cut some 1/4- or 3/8 strips of wood press them inside the curve, and use sticks to hold them and the hull back in place from the inside until it cools. Just sticks may puncture
jameswilson29 likes this.

my current "project"!
Old 06-06-2013

superhornet59 is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I've uploaded some images of the indentations, and I believe they speak for themselves.

I didn't know non-cored fiberglass could become delaminated (I thought either the fibers or resin would snap/fracture first) but that wouldn't be so bad because then I could just perform a resin injection + vacuum repair, which I have the equipment for. I've also considered adding some reinforcing fiberglass (possibly with a core in between) to stiffen the area, but I worry about creating high stress areas around the perimeter.

In the interior you can see there is a fiberglass covered plywood sole, but there used to be another plywood 'floor' overtop of that which rotted. You can see the perimeter of it where I cut the tabbing flush with the hull. I don't believe it was structural, but a part of me is still not particularly comfortable with launching and sailing the boat without a new floor. I don't want to install a new floor, only to find that the hull deforms again after launch and messes everything up, or that I have to tear it off to perform a hull repair I could do now.

I've done some tapping with various objects to try and 'hear' delamination (would expect a dull, hollow sound) but I haven't noticed anything. Mind you this is while it is still sitting on the support, the rudder-lift was just a quick test to see if the glass would bounce back (it didn't). Maybe if pressure was taken off, the layers would indeed 'inflate'. In any case, I don't know what failed here. There is no core, therefore there is no rot. I'm essentially dismissing the possibility of water-related damage. There are no cracks, fractures, tears, etc... however it is soft. What on earth can create such symptoms (or lack thereof)...?

Edit: looking at those interior photos I really have to think to myself.. why in the world did they NOT tab that entire rear bulkhead to the hull, geeeez!
Attached Thumbnails
Very Large Hull Indentation-indentation-exterior-port-1.jpg   Very Large Hull Indentation-indentation-exterior-port-2.jpg   Very Large Hull Indentation-indentation-exterior-starboard.jpg   Very Large Hull Indentation-indentation-interior-port.jpg   Very Large Hull Indentation-indentation-interior-starboard.jpg  

Last edited by superhornet59; 06-06-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

The bulkhead may not be tabbed because it would create a hard spot with no "give" The hull really doesn't look bad at all. I say, go sailing!
jameswilson29 and blutoyz like this.

my current "project"!
Old 06-06-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I seem to recall reading this is fairly common on some lighter weight hulls. Most solids are not really solids, the resins in glassfibre qualify and will creep slowly over time.

I also agree that this does not look bad. As long as the glass is not cracked or spiderwebbing, I would not worry too much about it

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 06-07-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Go Sailing...
Old 06-07-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

So this is what our hulls look like without the interior... seriously we have solid fiberglass and no core, I would not be so worried. Fiberglass will do this under extreme weight and in time will flex back... I would apply reinforcement in the localized areas where it flexed to 'push' it back into it's original shape. Other than that enjoy the boat.

Tags
hull indents oil can soft