Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-07-2013

Antelope is on a distinguished road
Cal 25 drain ATTN: sailguy40

Sorry to make a new thread but I can't send a PM. This will hopefully serve as good info though for others as well

Sailguy40! I've had my Cal 25 almost 6 months and I have to say I've read all your posts a few times on the search for info

My particular problem now is with the cockpit drains, and I now you've had the same problem. Mine have been a problem since I got it, the drain holes are jammed right up and when I try to unjam them, well, I have a question.

Where do they go!? Straight down and out the bottom!? Under the stairs going into the cabin is one, maybe both of the drain pipes, and I'm hesitant to open the valve (assuming its shut)

Is it possible this would flood the boat!? Any info at all you have on the drain system would be amazing. I live in Vancouver bc and it rains a lot, so if I don't go and manually run a sump pump, the cockpit fills up and drains into the cabin.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2013

Boiler19 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 25 drain ATTN: sailguy40

On my 1973 Cal 25, each cockpit drain has it's own thru-hull, located just behind the companionway steps. I just shut the valves, removed the hoses, cleaned them out, then re-installed them and opened the valves back up. I did have to buy a new bar sink drain to replace one of the scupper tailpieces as the threads had corroded through.

As long as you can get the thru-hulls shut you wont have any problem, just the little bit of water left in the hose as you disconnect it. My galley sink has the same setup.
Old 06-07-2013

rbrasi is on a distinguished road
Where did you find the bar sink drain that fits this size hose? I believe it is 3/4". I need one and can't find them anywhere.
Old 06-07-2013

Boiler19 is on a distinguished road

I had trouble finding one, too. I finally got one at an industrial plumbing supply store. A big beefy thing that cost about $38. I didn't get a matching set at that price. I took the old one in to make sure it was the same size. I also had to make sure the new one didn't have the "overflow" section that comes on most sink tailpieces.
Old 06-21-2013

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope View Post
Sorry to make a new thread but I can't send a PM. This will hopefully serve as good info though for others as well

Sailguy40! I've had my Cal 25 almost 6 months and I have to say I've read all your posts a few times on the search for info

My particular problem now is with the cockpit drains, and I now you've had the same problem. Mine have been a problem since I got it, the drain holes are jammed right up and when I try to unjam them, well, I have a question.

Where do they go!? Straight down and out the bottom!? Under the stairs going into the cabin is one, maybe both of the drain pipes, and I'm hesitant to open the valve (assuming its shut)

Is it possible this would flood the boat!? Any info at all you have on the drain system would be amazing. I live in Vancouver bc and it rains a lot, so if I don't go and manually run a sump pump, the cockpit fills up and drains into the cabin.

Cheers
Hi just getting around to seeing this. I no longer have my Cal 25 but the drains drain straight down from the cockpit through two hoses and down to the bottom where some thru hulls are at. Short hoses but if you take one off water will start gushing in and continue until you put the hose back on. You could use a plug to plug up the thru hulls while you clean or replace the hose. I replaced both hoses with new ones and put 2 sturdy stainless steel hose clamps on each through hull for extra safety and wrapped the thru hulls good with Teflon tape. Drained really well after this.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."