SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Crisis! Head is clogged!

10K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I moved onto a 1972 Hallberg-Rassy last month. The girlfriend, new to the boat and the rules, has been using TP in the head. This morning, the toilet bowl was full and the pump , and there was a half-emptied bottle of Drano in the sink with a very sweet note that simply said "sorry". She's now gone for the summer on a canoe trip. Here are the symptoms: as I said, bowl full of brown and sudsy water. There pump has very significant resistance and is now leaking around the where the pump handle connects to the head. What do I do short of tearing the whole thing out and replacing it

#29 ·
I still don't get how paper clogs hoses, if they are properly run, without dips, and the user chases each flush with a gallon or more of clean water. If you get it past the jocker valve, it should easily pass through the hoses. The problem is when it settles just on the other side of the valve or the user packs too much in to get past in the first place.

#30 ·
paper does not flow like water. it lies against the sides of hoses instead, making papier mache inside the hoses no matter how much water ye use to try to flush it out. it builds up and is hard, hence th eterm papier mache, as that is exactly wnhat is made from paper and water and some gluey goop. popop makes up th egluey goop. lovely crap.
i have had to replace the pump assembly twice in 8 moths due to others refusing to believe this fact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.