Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SloopJonB

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2013

Ymir is on a distinguished road
Compression post shifted

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get anybody's thoughts on a small question. I recently came across an E35 (Ericson 35') that had gotten a little too close to the shoreline. The fibreglass repair required is within my realm of expertise, but the other problem is the compression post for the desk stepped mast. It's off about 1/2-3/4" due to the collision. Any thoughts on whether this boat is salvageable? Any naval architects that can talk to the complications of a misaligned compression post? I've attached a pic for more info. Any thoughts or suggestions are helpful. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Compression post shifted-compressionpostwhoops.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2013

captflood is on a distinguished road
Re: Compression post shifted

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; Looks like a bump to the bow has moved thing off centre quite a bit what other flexing or shearing, delamination has occered that you cannot see or detect by eye, only to fail when it is needed for next time. THING FAIL WHEN YOUR DEPENDING ON THEM, IT HAPPENS ON BOATS, AS ALWAYS GO SAFE
Old 06-09-2013

newpbs is on a distinguished road

If you haven't done o already, you should post this question on the Ericson Owners' site. EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!

Good Luck
Old 06-09-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Use a 3 ton + lorry jack.

Brace both floor and roof against damage.

Ideally remove mast but at least slacken off all shrouds and stays.

Jack up roof. Reset post.

Not an uncommon procedure in the charter boat repair world.
Old 06-09-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Is that the one that went up on Sunset Beach? If so, have you noticed that the bulkhead split through the chainplate mounting holes on the port bulkhead? That's the reason the post is misaligned - the whole assembly shifted over that 1/2".

When I checked that boat out with an eye to bidding on it no-one seemed to have noticed that fact - it's quite hidden away and it wasn't noted on the insurance survey. You can see it from inside the head. I figured removing the chainplate, jacking the post & bulkhead over and building up a wide, solid tab of glass - a glass knee - for the chainplate would be the best solution. The bulkhead tabbing to the hull looked intact, it appeared the lack of tabbing to the deck was what allowed the torsion that cracked the bulkhead and let it shift.

Would be a nasty job due to the limited access but very do-able.

I passed on bidding due to all the regular maintenance issues rather than the accident damage - the glass work would be pretty simple but the sloppy rudder bearings, poor access to many systems etc. put me off. Getting that bent strut off looked like it would be a nightmare.

It was a pretty nice boat otherwise and the bid $ I heard the other viewers tossing about meant it was going to go for next to nothing - good luck with it.

If I can offer any observations or advice, PM me.
Faster likes this.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 06-09-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

you will need to replace the dish under the mast (mast step), as that is probably from where the leak making all this happen is coming from--my ericson 35mII had similar problems bu ti caught them before the compression post as affected.
you will need to inspect the bilge end of the compression post to check for rot.
merely jacking it all up is not going to fix anything on these boats. must be dealt with on a basic level to prevent from further damage.
the areas affected by this mast step problem include the base of compression post, deck sag, and corrosion making the deck swell and crack.
please fix it correctly as these are sweet sailing boats and deserve to be done correctly.
the estimate from a reliably expensive sd yard was 1925 usd to replace the dish and correct the deck problem and reskin coach house under mast...that was 6 yrs ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.