SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Coleman vs. Mercury Outboard

25K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  SailingV17 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

This is my first time posting if I screw this up don't be too hard on me. I just bought a MacGregor Venture 17. It is my first boat and while it is a project boat I couldnt be more excited. The reason I am posting is I am looking into outboards. Cabelas has a Coleman 2.6 for $699 and West Marine has a Mercury 2.5 for $899. My questions are:

1. Has anyone used a Coleman outboard?

2. Will a 2.5 be big enough to push a 17ft sailboat? (I am sure bigger would be better but I am on a budget and need to cut corners where I can.)

Fair Winds!
Clint

#8 ·
I had a Chrysler 6 hp to push my Macgregor Venture Newport 23. The plugs kept fouling. I finally went with an Evinrude (sp) longshaft 9.9 hp sailor model. When you are in a current or steady headwind, you need all the power possible. The high thrust Evinrude did the job.

Dot and John

#11 ·
A 2.5 should be fine for getting in and out of a slip. If you are going to cruise and might need to motor against the wind and current for any distance, a bit more power (like 4 hp) would be worth it. If cost is a major issue, look at used engines. And I would stay with a name brand so you can get parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.