SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Marina Fuel Nozzle Too Big (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100341-marina-fuel-nozzle-too-big.html)

dvuyxx 06-10-2013 01:05 PM

Marina Fuel Nozzle Too Big

I fueled up at a particular area marina for the first time, and I was surprised to find that their fuel nozzle was way too big for my fuel-fill-port-hole (whatever that is called).

To avoid any spillage, I had to gingerly fill up keeping the nozzle essentially flush to the opening. Have you ever run into that before? Are newer boats (mine is a 1979) made with larger ports? Other local marinas nozzles seem to fit okay.

deniseO30 06-10-2013 01:12 PM

Re: Marina Fuel Nozzle Too Big

Hmmm, was your boat once gas powered? Assuming you have Diesel now. Diesel nozzles are larger diameter

dvuyxx 06-10-2013 01:21 PM

Denise, that is a good question.

I don't think so. In 1979, the Pearson 35 came with an Atomic 4 standard OR a Westerbeke Diesel option. I believe that mine is the factory diesel. Maybe they just put in one size fuel port.

tommays 06-10-2013 01:26 PM

All of the deck fittings seem to take 1-1/2 hose as it been the standard going way back ?

miatapaul 06-10-2013 01:26 PM

It might be worth getting a Baha fuel filter/funnel. That way if you have a large filler nozzle you can fill without danger of spill. Or just a big funnel, just be sure to mark it for diesel fuel only, so no one uses it for a beer bong!

MSter 06-10-2013 01:34 PM

I too have this problem. I do not know if the PO of the boat changed the deck fill but it is indeed too small. I have been looking an adapter (intended for automotive use) which is certainly cheap enough but have not pulled the trigger on the order for some reason. I seem to forget all about it until I pull up to the fuel dock...grrrrr! I will order it now as it is fresh on my mind......or maybe later... ;-)

Check it out at

olson34 06-10-2013 01:39 PM

Recreational Boat deck fill fittings (1.5 inch) seem to be a standard size for eons.
However, I have seen the described problem once in a while, and it was at a place that dealt with commercial craft. Those guys buy a thousand gallons at a time and need larger hose/nozzle gear.

Check around and see if your particular deck fitting is really smaller than those on other boats.

bristol299bob 06-10-2013 01:49 PM

I've got the same issue on my boat (fitted with Yanmar diesel from the factory in 1977). A standard Diesel nozzle is just about the same size as the fuel fill. I usually fill up from Jerry cans, but if I stop at a fuel dock it can be very tedious to fill.

To make it easier I use a Mr Funnel

l don't honestly know if it is an effective effective filter or moisture remover but at least it makes filling up easier.

mm2187 06-10-2013 01:58 PM

Its my understanding that the bigger nozzle is a high speed filling for larger boats. I have been to places that have both.

Faster 06-10-2013 02:28 PM

Our fuel docks have larger, faster nozzles for the stinkpots and smaller, slower setups for sailboats.

I always fuel up through a screened funnel in any case, but the slow pumps are much easier to handle, safer, and cleaner as far as potential spillage/splashing..