Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-12-2013

Gunne is on a distinguished road
need rudder part for 1951 Beetle Boat Gull

I have a fiberglass Beetle Boat Sailing Dinghy "Gull" built around 1951. I have all the original parts except for the brass fittings on the rudder. The 2 fittings look like slides that would hold a sail to a mast. They slide down on a metal plate on the stern and are able to piviot on the rudder. Have not been able to find someone to dublicate the broken parts. Any Ideas where to get them made or replaced?

great sailing boat -too bad there isn't someone who would like to copy the design and build a lighter weight dinghy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: need rudder part for 1951 Beetle Boat Gull

Photos help . You are talking "gugeons and pintles" which are the most common hardware for mounting rudders. PINTLES & GUDGEONS

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

More; NOT sure about the word Beatle you used. Beatle Cats is in New England.
"The Gull sailing dinghy was designed by Ian Proctor in 1956, originally as a frameless double-chine plywood boat. However, it has been through several incarnations: the wooden Mark I, GRP Mark III, GRP Gull Spirit and GRP Gull Calypso. Today it is popular with sailing schools, especially in the UK.

The original prototype Gull (the "Jolly Roger") was built by Ian Proctor to teach his own children the skills of dinghy sailing. This became a production boat, often built from a kit, and produced by Smallcraft of Blockley. A GRP version was produced from 1966 but, being a near-exact copy of the wooden boat, was not well suited to GRP manufacture.

A Mark II was introduced as a cheaper GRP version without a permanent fore-deck, but did not prove very popular. The original boats became known as Mark 1 and wooden boats, probably mainly from kits, continued to be built to this specification. In the late 1970s a Mark 3 was produced, starting with no 1800. This was a radical redesign featuring a round bilge hull, greater beam and side decks. The design was optimised for and only available in GRP. Few wooden boats are believed to have been built after the Mk3 came out.

The Gull Spirit was a major redesign with a lot of innovative features developed by Anglo-Marine. This was followed by the Gull Calypso, which is a simplified design by Hartley Laminates, with no wooden parts.

The Gull has a reputation as a safe and stable boat but, particularly with the addition of a spinnaker, it is raced competitively. It is classed as a two-person boat but can easily be launched, sailed and recovered single-handed, making it a suitable cruising boat for the solo sailor. It can easily be rowed (with the addition of rowlocks) and can be fitted with an outboard engine. Hence, it is a very versatile boat."

UK sailing club
Gull Class Association

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2013

Thank you for your suggestion for parts. The Beetle Boat "Gull" was built as a sailing dinghy by the Beetle Boat company in Mass that started in the 1940s and was the first company to build "fiberglass boats. I grew up sailing the dinghy and the boat has Beetle on its little deck. I do know about PINTLES & GUDGEONS but it means taking the old fittings off both the boat and the wooden rudder. I just need one part to replace the one broken part.
Old 06-12-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

the Beetle Gull designed by Carl Beetle and built in 1959 by the new owner of the company. not even close to the first company to build fiberglass boats. the Ray Greene's Rebel in 1947 was one of the first. Beetle did not start fiberglass until 1951.

Do you have pic of the broken part.
Old 06-12-2013

Thank you for your reply. Will have to figure out how to post a picture of the rudder fitting and the stern of the Beetle Boat. I know it is a " Gull" as I have found the Beetle Boat company ads on line and the original sail has "" BB Gull" in it.
Have only found second hand info on the Beetle Boat Company so you may be right about the Rebel.
Old 06-12-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

OK well the info I gave you was not your boat ...
try here
Beetle Cat Boat Shop, traditional wooden boat builders, gaff rigged, one-design sailboats 93 years.. they must know something!

My boat is for sale.
Old 06-13-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

another good try Denise. but the Gull was made by Manufacturer of Fiberglass Products | FRP Manufacturers
they made fiberglass tanks for oil and truck bodies when they started
Carl Beetle started the company and sold it in 51 and he died in 52 the Gull was made by this company around 59
the Gull is one of the first room temperature cure resin dingys made. before that boats were made in chrome plated copper molds and used heat cured resin
Old 08-26-2013

plessard is on a distinguished road

I somewhat know what you're looking for because I have a Beetle Sailor, which is the 8' version of the Gull. I found it as a damaged hull over 30 years ago and am trying to rig it to sail but have very little information on it. It does have a pivoting centerboard and has the bronze metal strip on the transom for the rudder, but I can't figure out what the rest of the rudder hardware looks like. I also need specs for sail and rigging as well.

Beetle got out of the fiberglass boat business long ago and the records from that era were lost in a fire from what I was told by Beetle.

Any photos or description of parts would be appreciated. I'd be happy to share anything about my boat as well.

Good Luck
Old 08-30-2013

hipster001 is on a distinguished road

I too am looking for parts to restore my Beetle Gull that I saved from being junked by a friend who was planning to cut it with a chainsaw to take to the dump!

I had trouble locating original parts to the point of listing it for sale. I had several knowledgeable individuals contact me. One of which told me he had the original mast and an original sail which re-sparked my interest in the Gull. He sold me the parts. And I have been collecting other period pieces to put it back in use.

Which brings me to my point, I am looking for what I believe is the opposite of what the thread started with! I have the transom piece but no rudder piece to slide the rudder into.

Anyway, I'd be happy to share photos of the sail or any hardware on mine to help others if they'd be willing to reciprocate?