Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013

Azzarac is on a distinguished road
Re: CDI Furler Halyard is Getting Stuck

I bought the new luff from Blue Water Yachts. Home
I think it was around $210.00 shipped. I had found it online slightly cheaper but I have worked with these guys before and know their level of service.

It doesn't take much bend or twist to jam the carrier (black triangular part attached to the internal halyard) in the slot. In fact it wouldn't pass through the severe bend in the luff at the bottom of the photo without forcing the luff to flatten out. The only way I could pull the carrier up the channel was to insert the tip of a flat blade screwdriver in the channel and tap it along the twisted areas. Then once through that span I would pull it until it stopped again and repeat the process.

The luff is fairly simple to change. Uncoiling it from the box is probably the hardest part. There is a lot of tension! I did it single handed although they recommend 3 people. Just make sure to follow the directions (available one CDI's website) when straightening and cutting the luff to fit. Good luck!

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow Chameleon's travels at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2013
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue. That part is the biggest cost of the whole package. I managed to straighten mine a small bit. (Hot Texas summer sun and clamps on my back fence) But the kinks caused the grove to tighten up. I took some coarse sandpaper, wrapped it a few times and filed the tight area to get it back to the right dimension. (Didn't have a file the right thickness. Sail work much better now.
Old 06-14-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot Azzarac and mdbee. I'm almost positive this must be my problem. I'm heading up there tomorrow and will see if I can get the thing to move. Luckily, the carrier must be jammed down where I can reach it. Hopefully, it doesn't jam up where I can't.
Old 06-24-2013

Update--

Well, a less than straight luff is my problem. However, knowing that, I was able to apply pressure accordingly to move the carrier through the curves in the luff and I got the genoa up without too much difficulty. I'll get at least another season out of it.
jimgo likes this.
Old 06-24-2013

Glad to hear you got it figured out and are out there enjoying the wind and water. Even with the cost of the luff, I am SO glad I replaced mine. The new one furls so much better I wish I had replaced it when I bought the boat.

Old 06-25-2013

jhaley66 is on a distinguished road

In earlier posts in this thread you guys mentioned a pulley at the top of your furler. My halyard exits the black composite piece at the top of the furler and goes directly back into the foil. The friction makes it impossible to move, though I have not tried lubricant. My mast is easy to lower so I just did the work with the mast down and moved on, though I would like to fix this problem long term.

Is it the case that with your furler the halyard exits the top, goes through a pulley and then goes back into the other side of the foil?

Thanks

John Haley
Old 06-25-2013

Page 4 of this manual shows a drawing of the furler with references to parts on Page 5. http://www.sailcdi.com/sailpdf/FF2%20manual%206_12.pdf

I presume the "Halyard Top Fitting" serves the purpose of a pulley if it is not actually one. However, I could see that that was not my issue.

I believe the part I was having an issue with is the "ferrule"--though, I liked Azzarac's reference to a "carrier" as that seems more descriptive.

For me, when I took the genoa down in the fall, I tied a messenger line to the carrier (or ferrule?) which then ran up to the top of the luff on the opposite side as the sail. In the spring, when I went to pull on the messenger line, I could actually see the black carrier (a piece of plastic) having a hard time moving through curves in the luff. So, I could pull down on the sail to pull the carrier back up, and then give a good tug on the messenger line to get the plastic carrier through the curves. So, that was my issue....
Old 06-25-2013

Jhalley, if the friction is being caused by the halyard and not due to a distorted luff, I would recommend removing the line and running it through the washing machine. There may be a lot of dirt/salt built up causing the line to not slide as easily as it should. I toss mine in a pillow case along with halyard top fitting (black cap the line slides over) along with the furler line whenever I have the furler disassembled. It seems to make a difference. Don't use bleach or fabric softener though. Just a mild detergent will do the job. Hope this helps...

Last edited by Azzarac; 06-26-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

A friend working in a riggers said many people were getting rid of the halyard slider, for a block on the side of the extrusion, eliminating halyard slider problems , like I use on my furler.