Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013

5hortBu5 is on a distinguished road
If I had to get one new sail, what would it be?

Hey folks,

Right now, my sail inventory is pretty sad. I've got a nice 2-season old main, a busted, baggy old main as a spare, and a busted, baggy old 100% jib. That's it.

So, I really need a new hank-on headsail. Well, I need a couple, but I think I can really only justify the expenditure for one. My choices are to replace the jib with a new/newer one, or keep the busted jib in the rotation and get some manner of genoa.

I'm thinking that with the frustratingly light winds we usually have over much of the sailing season here on the Delaware, the genny would be the way to go. I thought something around a 130% would be good and versatile, carrying me into the rare medium winds, and then only switching to the jib when/if things got to blowing good.

Do you guys think this sound like a decent plan?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2013

mbetter is on a distinguished road
Re: If I had to get one new sail, what would it be?

Sounds like a no-brainer. Depending on the boat, I'd consider an even bigger genoa, like a 150%
Old 06-12-2013

It's an O'Day 22 with a shoal keel, no centerboard.

With something as big as a 150, do I risk winding up overpowered often, or would I be trading a LOT of performance for the (assumed) versatility of the 130?
Old 06-12-2013

It probably depends on how frequently you get light air and on the condition of your jib. If the jib is workable, it'll probably be good for 15-20+. I don't think 5-15 would be a problem for a 150%, and less than 5 knts, you're going to want as much sail area as possible.
Old 06-12-2013

Lighter air is more often the rule than the exception, especially in the hotter months. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it blowing harder than 15 and less than 30 out here. (I'm not going sailing in 30+...yet :P )
Old 06-12-2013

Yeah, then I'd definitely be looking at a big sail if I were you. That extra sail area can be the difference between moving and not moving on a light day and should easily make up for the days where you have to go to the old working jib a little earlier than you would have with a 135.
Old 06-12-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert but I was talking to a good sail loft and they recommended, at least or my boat, the 130 over the 150 in most weather here. They said the 150 was mostly to race in good winds with crew ballast and I would be best served with a 130 or even a 110 a storm jib and a light air drifter.

From my experience this summer in alot of light wind up to low 20's I use my 130 70% if the time and my 150 25%. I would choose a 130. You can tell it and the main were made I sail together on this boat where the 150 is great, but its hard to describe...just usually I want the 130. And not because I want to go slower. It just works better.
Old 06-12-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Whichever size you choose, you might want to check with the local PHRF fleet to see what the cut-offs are for headsail size. In New England it is 135 and 155. This would max out your performance before having to give up additional time to other boats. IOW, don't buy a 130, buy a 135. Once you hit 136 you take a 3 sec/mile penalty. Same goes for a 150. Get a 155 which is the max before taking another 3 sec/mile penalty.

Of course this is moot if you never plan to race this boat. Although it could be relevant when going to sell the boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Whichever size you choose, you might want to check with the local PHRF fleet to see what the cut-offs are for headsail size. In New England it is 135 and 155. This would max out your performance before having to give up additional time to other boats. IOW, don't buy a 130, buy a 135. Once you hit 136 you take a 3 sec/mile penalty. Same goes for a 150. Get a 155 which is the max before taking another 3 sec/mile penalty.

Of course this is moot if you never plan to race this boat. Although it could be relevant when going to sell the boat.
Thanks for the tip. I never knew quite how that worked. I do "race" but we're so slow that we're really just mucking about with a course in mind.
Old 06-12-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

How much crew do you normally sail with?

If it were me (and it is, I just ordered a new headsail) and you had to pick a single sail I think I'd go with a 135. I sometimes race but often it's just my wife and I. A 135 is easier to manage short handed. I'm Seattle which also often has light air.

If you could get a good used 110 or 115 (for your boat that should cost about $200) then I'd say get a new 150. The Catalina 25 that I sail on has a ~150 and a 110 and it's a great combo that covers most of the wind range that we see.

On that Catalina 25 we bought a new main, but all foresails have been purchased used. The 110 was $300 in good shape, the 150 was under $200 in nearly new shape, and the storm jib was about $150 and appears to have never been used. Combined with a $400 asym spinnaker (also in very good shape) it's a great inventory of head sails for under $1000 total. In my experience it's not hard to find hank-on foresails in good condition because so many people upgrade to roller furling.