Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-06-2004

pma_foyl is on a distinguished road
Diesel Deckplate ERUPTION

While trying to fill my diesel tanks, I put the nozzle in the fill hole and began pumping. Within a couple minutes, the fuel had "bubbled" (like carbonated soda) and run back up the fill pipe with tremendous force and burst out the fill hole. Even after I stopped pumping and removed the pump nozzle, it continued to erupt and overflow for about 10 seconds. I then put the nozzle back in the hole and tried to slowly add more diesel, but it would have taken me all day, since it continued to bubble and try to over-flow EVERY time I squeezed the pump handle (then I''d have to stop the pump and wait for it to subside).

Right now, I should have room for about 30 gallons in tank #1 (80 gallon capacity) and about 10 gallons in tank #2 (40 gallon capacity). i''m pretty sure the "vents" are clear, because they were sending "overflowing diesel" out during the "bubble eruption."

I''ve heard a couple of possible reasons for this fizzing/bubbling, but have yet to hear an explanation that sounds like my scenario.

What might cause this??? Is there more than one possible problem at root here? HELP!!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2004

foxglove is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem but not as bad. I also don''t know why this happens but I have a solution. I now pump the fuel into 5 gallon carry-on jugs and then siphon the fuel into the tank. The bubble-over never happens when fueling this way.

I suspect the bubble-over has something to do with the pumping mechanism of the diesel pump since it doesn''t happen when siphoning. It also doesn''t happen when filling the jug, probably because the opening is quite large.

This would be arduous for tanks the size of yours but, never-the-less, a solution. You might be able to simultaneously pump diesel into the jug and siphon it into the tank while at the fueling station. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2004

hamiam is on a distinguished road

i have a similar problem on my boat. first and most obvious, switch to the low speed diesel pump at the dock if you havent already. I think the problem is with the pumping mechanism and that the tank has no where to vent to except up the fill pipe. I keep one of those 3M absorbant pads around and pump the fuel as slow as I can get away with and take frequent breaks while filling.