SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Sliding Glass Doors? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/100463-sliding-glass-doors.html)

bobsaxet 06-14-2013 02:02 PM

Sliding Glass Doors?

Can sliding "glass" doors on cruising catamarans withstand water breaking over the stern(s). Specifically can they withstand a water jet velocity of 15 ft / sec.?

Basis for this question is the fabulous work done in the following USCG research article on series drogues:
Drogue Information
The article recommends that drogues be deployed from the stern when breaking waves could develop.

In section 6.4 - Boat Design - it says "companionway doors should be checked at a loading corresponding to a water jet velocity of approximately 15 ft./sec"

Meaningless stuff which you can ignore: I sail and race on an inland lake in my daysailer and dream of cruising on a bigger boat. Being a newbie I read a lot and think about the relative merits of cat versus mono. I've taken a bunch of ASA courses including recently the catamaran course on a Lagoon 38. It was great to be roaring along at 10+ kts through the water in 20+ kt true wind and moderate chop. It was even greater to duck into the cabin and enjoy my sandwich with my bottle of water resting calmly on the salon table unrestrained. I fear that this background will re-start the cat vs mono discussion! But this is not my goal!

I'm just curious these big, exposed doors.

Thanks in advance, Bob

outbound 06-14-2013 02:07 PM

Re: Sliding Glass Doors?

No
May wish to review EU ocean A classification requirements. Believe this is why some nauticats (monohull motosailors) are B not A.

bobsaxet 06-14-2013 03:09 PM

Thanks Outbound. The CE regs on recreational craft is a difficult topic to research! In your opinion does the weakness of these big, sliding doors mean:
1. cruising cats should only use drogues / sea anchors from the bow
2. cruising cats are not meant to withstand rough seas with breaking waves
3. other?
Thanks, Bob

bljones 06-14-2013 10:58 PM

hmmm... patio doors on a catamaran... you're not "HotRod", are you?

If you have four days, read this and get caught up:

65- by 32-foot catamaran 3200sqft of living space - Sailing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/upl...3492_thumb.jpg

Minnesail 06-15-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 1044223)

That thread has become a pathology for me. I feel a compulsive urge to check it, even though NOTHING HAPPENS. But at irregular intervals there are new pics or a solid bit of gossip, and it renews the compulsion. I'm trapped in a hillbilly catamaran Skinner box.

bobsaxet 06-15-2013 08:12 AM

Ok, that Hot Rod comment hurt!
And to think that you're comparing a Lagoon to the HR's Plywood wonder - Wow!
Lagoon is pretty proud of their naval architects: Van Peteghem and Lauriot Prévost (VPLP). They're going to complain to the international commission of something or other I'm sure.

I just pulled the brochure on a Lagoon 38 - it has a CE A-8 rating (even with sliding glass doors).

outbound 06-15-2013 09:04 AM

don't know much about multi hulls beyond having a friend who sells them out of Wareham MA-(the multihull source) and sailing a one off tri in a Newport/Bermuda. Guess they got the CE A figuring the thing will float even if doors broached in a pooping. Think you're correct though that standard tactic for multi's is sea anchor via bridle not series drogue. You're lucky if you can figure a way to berth the thing and maintain it. Around here limiting factor is getting them in and out of the water and finding mooring/slips non billionaires can afford. Remain very intrigued by the Neel tri. Seems to have a lot of good ideas but have not sailed one.