Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint on prop

Do nothing, that sounds ideal. I might actually do just that, we don't seem to have high growth of critters in our marina, my dinghy was in the water all last summer with no protection and only had half a dozen tiny barnacles on it. Weed and slime seems to be more of an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I used A7 prop paint and it was crap. Total utter crap. I think it floated off before the boat was put back in the water.

Mind you I had Propspeed on the haul before and that was crap too. Not total crap - the boat actually made it to the anchorage before the propspeed solicited barnicles to ride.

Total waste of money.

Buy a snorkle.
Old 06-16-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Interlux has a spray on paint that works fairly well for my boat, is south of you a bit in puget sound. Better than nothing at all for the 2-3 yr haul out spreads I do. I will not use a reg AF paint, as any with copper will probably screw the prop up itself. So get a paint that will work on props etc. I do about 3-4 coats on the prop and shaft.

Marty
Old 06-16-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
Do nothing, that sounds ideal. I might actually do just that, we don't seem to have high growth of critters in our marina, my dinghy was in the water all last summer with no protection and only had half a dozen tiny barnacles on it. Weed and slime seems to be more of an issue.
Exactly.. we just hauled, about 13 months since cleaning/zincs.. the paint on the hull was about done, (2 years old) but the prop and shaft were mostly clean, 2 or 3 small barnies on the prop and shaft, some kind of scale on the shaft, and the zincs were still over half there. I was pleased.

All we do is polish the shaft and prop prior to splashing.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-16-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
Prop Speed is really expensive, albeit the best out there.
What do you consider to be "really expensive"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-16-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Mind you I had Propspeed on the haul before and that was crap too. Not total crap - the boat actually made it to the anchorage before the propspeed solicited barnicles to ride.
That's really interesting. I wonder if differing local conditions make a difference to a product's performance?

A friend put a brand new Beneteau in the water about 13 months ago with Propspeed on the running gear and the boat was taken out for it's 1st year warranty check and the prop was little different from when it went into the water a year before - clean as new.

And he has a mooring ball 100yds from mine and my prop as I said is like a mussel farm.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-17-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Here's what WM charges. I would call that "really expensive"!

DETCO MARINE Propspeed Foul Release System at West Marine
Old 06-17-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyxx View Post
For a bronze prop, use Petit Zinc Barrier spray. It's not expensive. Just prep the prop properly (nice alliteration) bringing it down to bare clean metal and then wiping it down with MEK or acetone. Spray only two or three thin coats 20 minutes apart. It has worked well for me with very light growth over the course of a season.
I've also had good results from the Petit zinc spray. Before that I tried several types of propeller antifouling treatments, everything except Prop-Speed, that was next. Last year I ran across the zinc spray and tried it and it worked really well. I had maybe three or four small barnacles attached to the prop, where before (with and without other treatments) it was fairly well caked with them. If this didn't work I was going to go to Prop-Speed. I still might try it some day but for now, the Zinc spray seems to work pretty well for my area.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 06-17-2013

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road

We are trying to figure this one out too...
Two years ago it was suggested to use bottom paint so we painted our bronze prop with the same ablative bottom paint we use on the hull. (CSC Micron, which as an aside has performed very well on the hull, with two years between haulouts we came out clean.)
There was growth on the prop within two weeks....(we can see our prop with no trouble). When we hauled most recently the paint surface was all pitted and the prop had lots of barnacles..... It took a really long time to clean it off the prop and get a smooth surface. Never again will I put bottom paint on the prop!

So this time we are trying plain lanolin, Lanocote has made a product from lanolin for bottom application, but we just purchased a tub of lanolin at the pharmacy.
So far so good, at 6 weeks the prop has no growth and even if it does not work out in the end, we can just wipe any remaining lanolin off at our next haulout, at least thats the theory.

Happy sailing
TJ
Old 06-17-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
$200-300 for a wee little jar. That's too much for me. That's about what I spend to paint the entire bottom. But I acknowledge the fact that this is a practical investment for some ... I haul out every winter, I'm not a serious racer, and I'm not circumnavigating. This is, however, the best prop antifouling on the market. The Petit Zinc Barrier spray gets me through the season with an acceptable amount of growth. Just a few barnacles.