Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: Bottom paint on prop

Paul- I've been using Trilux spray antifouling designed for outboards and sterndrives for several years now and it lasts for 2-3 years with only an occasional barnacle. My brother's boat, kept in the same marina was covered with growth in a year and a half. I initially prime the prop and shaft (tape off any zincs) with zinc chromate spray and then two coats of the Trilux.
Interlux Paint Interlux Trilux Boat Prop & Drive Antifouling Spray Paint

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
My brother's boat, kept in the same marina was covered with growth in a year and a half.
So you're saying that nobody had a look at your brother's boat below the waterline for a year and half?

I don't care where your boat lives or what the fouling conditions are- that's playing with fire. You at least want to check your zincs a couple times a year. Not to mention cleaning the running gear, even if the hull doesn't need it. Wow.
Old 06-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We use the Petit Product on the marine rich Chesapeake Bay and it works well for two years

Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Here's what WM charges. I would call that "really expensive"!
Yep, I would call that expensive too.

In New Zealand things are done a bit different. Here the product is not available off the shelf. It is only available through "registered applicators" who do the whole job and do not sell the product. On the face of it that sounds like a bad idea. But it isn't, at least it seems to work, here's why.

The owner cleans the prop as best he can, the better you do it the less it costs. Then the contractor comes along and does a final prep, primes the running gear and then does the Propspeed application and top coat. Where is the advantage? Well, they only use as much product as is required and generally that is far less expensive than buying the product in tins. And the applicator provides a limited liability warranty on durability.

As an example, to do my boat with an 18" 3 blade prop including labour product and consumables the estimate of what it will cost me is about NZ$220 - that's about US$175. For the peace of mind that I believe it will give me I reckon that's not too expensive.

Also from what I have heard the durability of the product is totally dependent on the quality of the application - if it is applied badly you may as well just pour it into a bin somewhere. Which is why in NZ they won't sell the product - they had DIY jobs go bad and it was ruining the products cred so they stopped selling it for DIY use.

We'll see, my boat comes out next week - the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-17-2013

Quote:
Paul- I've been using Trilux spray antifouling designed for outboards and sterndrives for several years now and it lasts for 2-3 years with only an occasional barnacle. My brother's boat, kept in the same marina was covered with growth in a year and a half. I initially prime the prop and shaft (tape off any zincs) with zinc chromate spray and then two coats of the Trilux.
Interlux Paint Interlux Trilux Boat Prop & Drive Antifouling Spray Paint
FWIW my experience with Trilux is that it probably did as much good as leaving the prop naked. And that stuff is not that much less expensive that Propspeed - in NZ we pay around $100 a litre.

I've been told by the "experts" that Trilux is intended for aluminium and isn't expected to work on bronze components. Seemingly their ad appears to confirm:

"specially formulated with Biolux to be the safest & most effective product for use on aluminum outdrives & outboards."

YMMV

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-17-2013

dfreer is on a distinguished road

Been thinking for some time about what might work on my prop. Toying with having it teflon coated. Good idea or bad??
Old 06-18-2013
Courtney the Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
So you're saying that nobody had a look at your brother's boat below the waterline for a year and half?

I don't care where your boat lives or what the fouling conditions are- that's playing with fire. You at least want to check your zincs a couple times a year. Not to mention cleaning the running gear, even if the hull doesn't need it. Wow.
Yep, it normally spends six months of the year in fresh water but he left it in the salt that year and it didn't get used much. The Autoprop was a big ball, I couldn't see the blades when I dove it. We don't have a lot of hard growth problems here in the cold water but that was pushing it for sure.

Old 06-18-2013
Courtney the Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
FWIW my experience with Trilux is that it probably did as much good as leaving the prop naked. And that stuff is not that much less expensive that Propspeed - in NZ we pay around $100 a litre.

I've been told by the "experts" that Trilux is intended for aluminium and isn't expected to work on bronze components. Seemingly their ad appears to confirm:

"specially formulated with Biolux to be the safest & most effective product for use on aluminum outdrives & outboards."

YMMV
It is designed for aluminum props and drives, I've used it on the sterndrive of the power boat for years, decided to give it a try on the stainless shaft and bronze prop on the sailboat and it works like a champ. I've used it for a total of about 4 years now (I re- apply every two years when I do the bottom paint) and the prop and shaft stay almost totally clean (we don't get a lot of growth here, only need to clean the hull once a year) Are you sure you are talking about the same stuff Om? This is a spray can, not a litre can that you brush on.

Old 06-18-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Trilux can be found in a brush on, or a spray can. I use the spray can, IIRC maybe $20 and barely use but 1/2 to maybe 3/4 of a can. Its pretty well worn off after 2 seasons, but seems to keep the barnacles off in that time frame.

Marty
Old 06-19-2013

Quote:
Are you sure you are talking about the same stuff Om? This is a spray can, not a litre can that you brush on.
No the stuff I used is brush-on but the spec appears to be the same. The can even looks the same but obviously not aerosol.

Your description in your reply to Fstbttms is exactly what I found under my boat after about 8 months of Trilux - "The Autoprop was a big ball, I couldn't see the blades when I dove it."

I can't recall seeing Trilux in the chandlers here in aerosol - whatever the case I'm going the Propspeed route this time round and will see how it goes.

Thanks

Arthur C. Clarke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.